• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mirc0n

.X & Transparency

This topic is 5660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Newbie question: I have nice car model in .3ds format, I used conv3ds to convert it to .x. Original model has transparent windows but when I load it with directx, the windows are black. So what is the problem? =D If I use for example Deep Exploration (or whatever) to load the .x file, the windows are again transparent, so there is something I am not doing right Where should I start digging my bug/missing feature? thanks [edited by - mirc0n on June 19, 2003 2:34:37 AM]

Advertisement
I think that conv3ds.exe has no surport for transparency. I think that you may need to use one of the proper plug ins (that come with the SDK) that plug directly into the graphics program so that you can export directly.

Unfortuanatly I have this program too, and have no way of getting these 3d graphics programs (cos of the price), so I am stuck with no transparency as well.

(someone correct me If I am wrong, but I am pretty shure this is the case)

I don''t think it''s the conv3ds.exe that is causing the problem, as he says that he can view the exported .x file in Deep Exploration and it works fine in that. I don''t think that the mesh viewer utility that comes with the DirectX SDK has alpha blending enabled, and if your using that to view your models, then transparent areas of the texture will appear black.

Write your own model loader code ( or modify the source code that came with the SDK ), and enable alpha blending and see if that works.

Chris.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Create a Project using the DirectX SDK.

Click to add support for X meshs.

Read through the CMESH::Render(LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 pd3dDevicE) function to see how it renders. Notice it renders everthing with an opacity of 1.0, then it renders everything with a lower opacity. THis is so the window doesn''t write to the Z-Buffer before the inside of the car gets written.

Or, better yet, use the class to load and render your models!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!