Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nes8bit

Direct3D Software Mode

Yeah, hope the user has a P3 900 with 1024 MB of memory.

Seriously though, run in hardware mode.

...Right...
It DOES run in HW mode, but I don''t want to screw the software users. I was a pure software user just a year ago. I know how it is to be left out.

------------------------
Captured Reality.

Reduce the number of polygons, works with smaller texture, reduce your field of view, reduce your max depth, buy a Giga-Pentium (P3 900 isn''t enough), pray, make a pact with the devil, work in VC++ (I think you use VB, uh?)...

Programming is:
A.The art of debugging a blank sheet of paper (or an empty file).
B.A pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.
C.The most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes are not mandatory).

quote:
Original post by Poltras

Reduce the number of polygons, works with smaller texture, reduce your field of view, reduce your max depth, buy a Giga-Pentium (P3 900 isn''t enough), pray, make a pact with the devil, work in VC++ (I think you use VB, uh?)...

1. Reduce polys
HW users already have this

2. Smaller Textures
HW users have this too

3. FOV
I don''t know about that. It is a great way of utilizing better clipping, but it would look funny.

4. Max Depth
That''s a good idea

6. Devil thing
Already done. He said that I can use VB with DX

5. Do VC++
no.

------------------------
Captured Reality.

There is only one solution.

Write your own software rasterizer.

I''m sorry, but even though I like DirectX its software implementation is crap. Which is obvious looking at the amount of stuff these people have to support.

Anyway, probably not a very helpfull answer but writing a software rasterizer sure is fun!!

Jaap Suter

quote:
Original post by ECKILLER

Use VC++

ECKILLER

I already said no.

s9801758: I know it's crap, but I'm not going to spend too many hours on just implementing software mode. If it's too much trouble, then it's not worth it. Also, you gave me an idea. Maybe you/me/whoever could create a fake HAL device driver that is just a software renderer. I think I have the dx5ddk somewhere.

------------------------
Captured Reality.

Edited by - nes8bit on June 14, 2000 9:35:18 PM

Good luck, but I really think you will spend more time on it than you will save some.

BTW, I''ve used VB for making a game but dropped it... Not enough control and still a bit slower. Maybe I was just unexperienced with Dx under VB.

(( Not to get me wrong, I love VB... although I think it''s only for things that do not require speed. I''m using it everyday when I don''t want to make 100 lines for a program who just show a message box ))

Programming is:
B.A pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.
C.The most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes are not mandatory).

Oh and about the field of view, just reduce the view window in full screen.... And put all around your view "Buy an hardware accelerator"... I''m sure you could get some sponsors from video cards to put their names on too

And what''s wrong with VC++? Do you have anything against it really or just using VB and can''t switch to VC? I''m talking seriously here.

Programming is:

I have nothing against MSVC. I actually use it for somethings. Also, about your advertisement things...nah. That''s too weird for me. And what''s this about 100 lines of code to do a msgbox? I would think someone would say, "I dislike vb because it takes 1 line of code to do a msgbox and 30 to do in C++." That''s not true of course, but it''s just an example. JUST AN EXAMPLE. (for the people who don''t read ) More suggestions??

------------------------
Captured Reality.

I started writing my own software renderer -- I even did it in assembly, so I could later implement MMX instructions into it. Unfortunately, there''s some weird clipping error -- clipping seems to work, but sometimes it doesn''t, and I can''t figure out what situation causes it to crash. I tried clipping triangles against each of the four sides of the screen, against left&right and top&bottom, and against all four at once, and it worked. But sometimes it doesn''t. It''s extremely frustrating, so I''ve given it up for now and am continuing 2D.

~CGameProgrammer( );

No no no no....

#include <windows.h>

int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE,HINSTANCE,LPSTR,int)
{
MessageBox(NULL, // Sorry to say that, but try
// to explain NULL concept to a

// newbie...

"ONE LINE MSGBOX","VC++",MB_OK);
}

And before that you have to create a project... Ok that isn''t hard... still hardER than "EXE Project".

Sub FORM_LOAD()
MsgBox( "ONE LINE MSGBOX", "VB" )
End Sub

Still again, I don''t want to start a debate on VB... but everyone have to admit that for a newbie or a beginner, it is very easier to learn than C++.

Programming is:

Alright then. Forget it. I cant even ask a freeking question without getting crap like this in just about every serious question I get. you know what then? I won''t ask questions on gamedev anymore.

------------------------
Captured Reality.

DON''T USE D3D... i programmed a game in it and it runs slow... so damn slow even on a p3 450 (back then) i doubt even a 700 would be able to run it decently...

.... heheh, i suggest going back to DOS... people don''t mind playing in DOS if it''s a really good game

quote:
Original post by Dee

DON''T USE D3D... i programmed a game in it and it runs slow... so damn slow even on a p3 450 (back then) i doubt even a 700 would be able to run it decently...

.... heheh, i suggest going back to DOS... people don''t mind playing in DOS if it''s a really good game

My options are kind of low to not use d3d. I COULD use OpenGL, but that won''t help much since OpenGL (from what I hear) has a crappy sw device.

------------------------
Captured Reality.

Can''t you just drop the screen mode to something like 320x240 for software-render situations? (Has this been too obvious to mention?) Maybe it''s just me, but low screen-resolution doesn''t really bother me. In any action game, it would certainly bother me less than having my max-depth or field-of-view reduced.

From what I know (serious, now), software will be crap on almost every machine if you don''t limit the polygon count.

Still, if you don''t want to lose some FOV and depth nor polygons, you will have to make the whole renderer... and you will lose time doing so for not too much. Maybe not too much... I don''t know your capacities.

And, seriously, there isn''t much people anymore who buy a pc for gaming (and often even not for gaming) without having an accelerator, even a Monster 3D 4Mb[1]. I don''t know any sold PC in the 2000 that hasn''t a 3D hardware accelerator, from nVidia to ATI...
Personnally, look at the latest 3D games... I don''t think they have a good software mode. But if you''re doing so for demo and not selling purposes, then I suggest you make your own sw mode... or maybe a HAL like you said. But still good luck.

(( PLEASE keep asking questions. It makes you better, and us by the same time. Don''t stop coming here... We need you! ))

[1] Ok... that''s what I use. But as soon as I get a job I buy something more powerful (still keeping it for test though ).

Programming is:

quote:
Original post by Poltras
(( PLEASE keep asking questions. It makes you better, and us by the same time. Don't stop coming here... We need you! ))

For the slightest moment, I thought you were serious. jk Normally, when I'm in the !lounge I'm pretty serious.

Well, back to topic.
The user has the choice of changing the poly count already. That's been in there for months. The reason I want to do software mode is so that my uncle can play it. He's got no 3d card. Trust me, there's no way he can get one for a while...Trust me.

------------------------
Captured Reality.

Edited by - nes8bit on June 15, 2000 12:39:13 AM

Guest Anonymous Poster
LMAO!
Poltras, seriously, do you have a 4MB Diamond Monster 3D card?
These days they are barely enough to run simple games. I have Diamond Viper TNT1 on a PIII and sometimes I think that''s even slow. At work I have a Matrox G100 8MB AGP video and the poor old video card struggles to display a simple graphical object on the screen using OpenGL. nVidia TNT certainly kicks @ss on the matrox card.
2) Believe it or not, there are soo many brand new PCs that are sold with the graphics built onto the motherboard, thus no 3D. (they claim to have 3D but honestly, they are good only for business use). My friend bought one of them the other day(since it was cheap) and he wondered why he couldn''t run Ultima VI or something like that!

nes8bit
Hey! Don''t take me too seriously, too. I''m starting to post in the lounge now and getting involved into this forum, but often I''m not taking anything really seriously. I never (and never will) blast someone, something for the meaning or just to critic... or because of their ideas. I don''t mind the obviously too often asked question "OpenGL or DirectX"... When I need OpenGL I use it (mounting something under it because Dx isn''t multi-platform). I prefer OGL, but I know the industry is more on Dx (for 2D... it seems 3D has more OGL fan...). Well ok that''s TOTALLY another thread I''m getting off this.
I used VB for Dx, and will probably use it again in the future. I don''t think VB is useless... I NEED to feel more control, complex things and all (that''s why I''m using PC instead of MAC ). So please don''t go thinking I hate VB. Every language has their own pros and cons.

I''m talking too much in my opinion .

Wow. Your uncle want to play it and he doesn''t have any video card (3D, I mean)... mmmh. You already have control of how much polygons... All I see now is video resolution (already said) and software mode programmed by you (or a fellow).

Anonymous
Yes, I have a 3D Diamond Monster 4Mb... And I have many many problems with that... But still I don''t play hot shot for now... concentrating over D2. Hey! But as soon as I get a job I will change the whole thing up.
If you wanna know (if someone cares), I have a P2-233, 128Mb RAM, 4Mb video card with 3D DM 4Mb, Modem 33kbps, Network card, 14" monitor (my 17" just broke sniff sniff), SB 64 bit and a 4Gb HD. Oh and a Burner HP 7220i for read and writing (my other CD-ROM just broke as well). My computer is really due to be changed....

And even if it is not a TNT2 that you get when you buy the Intel "Get-it-all, but cant-upgrade", it is still hardware acceleration.

Programming is:

quote:
Original post by Poltras

Still again, I don''t want to start a debate on VB... but everyone have to admit that for a newbie or a beginner, it is very easier to learn than C++.

That''s what BASIC has been created for...

Well... C++ has been "created" later, though...

It''s up to you. RAD has been conceived for something, hasn''t it?

You need quick prototyping and with very small modifications a ready-to-ship appplication? VB might be your choice.

Or you may build your development framework, but it takes a while to be completed...

Karmalaa