Direct3D Software Mode

Started by
25 comments, last by nes8bit 23 years, 10 months ago
From what I know (serious, now), software will be crap on almost every machine if you don''t limit the polygon count.

Still, if you don''t want to lose some FOV and depth nor polygons, you will have to make the whole renderer... and you will lose time doing so for not too much. Maybe not too much... I don''t know your capacities.

And, seriously, there isn''t much people anymore who buy a pc for gaming (and often even not for gaming) without having an accelerator, even a Monster 3D 4Mb[1]. I don''t know any sold PC in the 2000 that hasn''t a 3D hardware accelerator, from nVidia to ATI...
Personnally, look at the latest 3D games... I don''t think they have a good software mode. But if you''re doing so for demo and not selling purposes, then I suggest you make your own sw mode... or maybe a HAL like you said. But still good luck.

(( PLEASE keep asking questions. It makes you better, and us by the same time. Don''t stop coming here... We need you! ))

[1] Ok... that''s what I use. But as soon as I get a job I buy something more powerful (still keeping it for test though ).

Programming is:A.The art of debugging a blank sheet of paper (or an empty file).B.A pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.C.The most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes are not mandatory).
Now I know what I'm made of, and I'm afraid of it...
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Poltras
(( PLEASE keep asking questions. It makes you better, and us by the same time. Don't stop coming here... We need you! ))

For the slightest moment, I thought you were serious. jk Normally, when I'm in the !lounge I'm pretty serious.

Well, back to topic.
The user has the choice of changing the poly count already. That's been in there for months. The reason I want to do software mode is so that my uncle can play it. He's got no 3d card. Trust me, there's no way he can get one for a while...Trust me.

------------------------
Captured Reality.

Edited by - nes8bit on June 15, 2000 12:39:13 AM
LMAO!
Poltras, seriously, do you have a 4MB Diamond Monster 3D card?
These days they are barely enough to run simple games. I have Diamond Viper TNT1 on a PIII and sometimes I think that''s even slow. At work I have a Matrox G100 8MB AGP video and the poor old video card struggles to display a simple graphical object on the screen using OpenGL. nVidia TNT certainly kicks @ss on the matrox card.
2) Believe it or not, there are soo many brand new PCs that are sold with the graphics built onto the motherboard, thus no 3D. (they claim to have 3D but honestly, they are good only for business use). My friend bought one of them the other day(since it was cheap) and he wondered why he couldn''t run Ultima VI or something like that!
nes8bit
Hey! Don''t take me too seriously, too. I''m starting to post in the lounge now and getting involved into this forum, but often I''m not taking anything really seriously. I never (and never will) blast someone, something for the meaning or just to critic... or because of their ideas. I don''t mind the obviously too often asked question "OpenGL or DirectX"... When I need OpenGL I use it (mounting something under it because Dx isn''t multi-platform). I prefer OGL, but I know the industry is more on Dx (for 2D... it seems 3D has more OGL fan...). Well ok that''s TOTALLY another thread I''m getting off this.
I used VB for Dx, and will probably use it again in the future. I don''t think VB is useless... I NEED to feel more control, complex things and all (that''s why I''m using PC instead of MAC ). So please don''t go thinking I hate VB. Every language has their own pros and cons.

I''m talking too much in my opinion .

Wow. Your uncle want to play it and he doesn''t have any video card (3D, I mean)... mmmh. You already have control of how much polygons... All I see now is video resolution (already said) and software mode programmed by you (or a fellow).

Anonymous
Yes, I have a 3D Diamond Monster 4Mb... And I have many many problems with that... But still I don''t play hot shot for now... concentrating over D2. Hey! But as soon as I get a job I will change the whole thing up.
If you wanna know (if someone cares), I have a P2-233, 128Mb RAM, 4Mb video card with 3D DM 4Mb, Modem 33kbps, Network card, 14" monitor (my 17" just broke sniff sniff), SB 64 bit and a 4Gb HD. Oh and a Burner HP 7220i for read and writing (my other CD-ROM just broke as well). My computer is really due to be changed....

And even if it is not a TNT2 that you get when you buy the Intel "Get-it-all, but cant-upgrade", it is still hardware acceleration.

Programming is:A.The art of debugging a blank sheet of paper (or an empty file).B.A pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.C.The most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes are not mandatory).
Now I know what I'm made of, and I'm afraid of it...
quote:Original post by Poltras

Still again, I don''t want to start a debate on VB... but everyone have to admit that for a newbie or a beginner, it is very easier to learn than C++.

That''s what BASIC has been created for...

Well... C++ has been "created" later, though...

It''s up to you. RAD has been conceived for something, hasn''t it?

You need quick prototyping and with very small modifications a ready-to-ship appplication? VB might be your choice.

Or you may build your development framework, but it takes a while to be completed...

Karmalaa

---[home page] [[email=karmalaa@inwind.it]e-mail[/email]]
I have done some quiet fast games in d3drm software mode. But I´m using C++. One way is to use very little polygons. Insted of using meshes use single textured quads and switch textures to simulate animation. But why not use 3D-acceleration? It´s standard today. In 2 years I can promise you, every one will have that in his computer. Like the math proccessor.

Gandalf the White

Gandalf the Black
Well, I was able to get a small 3d app to run at 30 fps on my 133 mhz laptop...

------------------------
Captured Reality.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement