Motion Sickness... how to fix it?

Started by
5 comments, last by SoaringTortoise 20 years, 10 months ago
I am messing around with a camera system, but it keeps giving me motion sickness after a few moments. The camera I''m using is basically just trying to emulate a simple top-down scrolling shoot-em up, where moving the camera scrolls the ground around underneath you. As I understand it, motion sickness is caused by the eye not being able to anticipate the movement... and this can be down to choppy camera work, poor refresh rates or bad frame rates. I''m running at around 150 fps so it''s got to be choppy camera work. One of the ideas I have is to lag the camera behind the movement slightly so that the character (usually in the center of the screen) moves off center and the camera gradually moves to catch-up. The only problem with this is that the player looses the ability to predict what action is coming his way because the character is closer to the action than the camera can see. Any other ideas?
Always prey on the weak, the timid and the stupid. Otherwise you'll just get your butt kicked
For a tortoise, this is extremely hard to do, but when you get it right... the expression on their faces ...
Advertisement
Prehaps your character is moving too quickly and the ground is having to scroll qucikly as a result. Can you reduce the movement speed? Or try giving the main character some form of anticapitory motions.
I think making your camera looser as you mentioned is the solution. It doesn''t have to be very much, something I found works quite well is to move the camera (for a 2.5D type thing, overhead camera) by 1/2 the distance between the current camera focus and the players position every frame. It moves quick when the player is far from the centre, but slows down as it catches up.
Thanks folks. I will give both a go.
Always prey on the weak, the timid and the stupid. Otherwise you'll just get your butt kicked
For a tortoise, this is extremely hard to do, but when you get it right... the expression on their faces ...
strange, just imagining that makes me feel sick! Try to make it on a bit of a tilt if possible. If you can see a bit into the distance that helps stop it.
I think you''re right about motion sickness coming from not being able to predict the movement. Whenever I watched someone else play DOOM, I got a headache. Also, I once closed my eyes on a twist ride at Cedar Point. That was a big mistake. I had to wait for the ride to end before my equilibrium came back. Probably the worst case of motion sickness I ever had.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
I''ve only gotten vertigo from one game.. descent.. hehe, i never touch that game now.. it just sits nicely in its box in my basement.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement