sliding

Started by
8 comments, last by hello_there 20 years, 10 months ago
it''s a miricle i have my 3d collision detection working. now all i need to know is how do you make the player slide along the wall. my game is a first person game and i want it so when the player hits the wall he slides along it if there still pressing forward. can someone tell me how to do it or tell me a good tutorial that tells you how to?
____________________________________________________________How could hell be worse?
Advertisement
I assume that when the player goes "inside" a wall, you bounce her back to the previous position. You should get the normal vector of the wall, and bounce her back in that direction.

In other terms, when the player has penetrated a wall, you don''t go back the same path, you find the shortest way out of the wall instead.
i have a normalized normal of the triangle and a player vector. what do i do to to move the player back along the normal.
____________________________________________________________How could hell be worse?
Calculate a line between where the player is and where the player should be if they moved unobstructed. Then caculate the point where that line intersects with the wall and place the player there.
quote:Original post by m_wherrett
Calculate a line between where the player is and where the player should be if they moved unobstructed. Then caculate the point where that line intersects with the wall and place the player there.

and how would this be supposed to result in any kind of sliding?

f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de
This will make sliding because the player will enter the wall, and then be pushed out -- but the only thing that is rendered is the part where the player is pushed out, not when they are inside the wall. So when they are at an angle, say the left arm enters the wall. The left arm is pushed out, but the player still moves foward and left towards the wall. This looks like sliding to the player.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

No, that method disregards all movement by the player after the first point of contact during a particular time interval. In otherwords, it neglects to implement the actual "sliding" part of sliding a long a wall. The first poster is correct; bounce them back along the wall''s normal vector until they are outside the wall.

What you would have to do to make the 2nd suggestion work is after placing the player at the point of contact, move them the remaining distance in their movment vector that is parallel to the wall (dot product of their remaining movement vector and a vector parallel to the wall in their movement direction)
Heh, I didn''t read the middle of the thread closely, so I was thinking we were still talking about the first method (moving outward along the normal). I agree, the second way won''t work.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

You can''t just move it back along the normal because this could push your object through a wall if it is in an acute corner.

You could do something like this.

Find the first collison, then calculate a new destination and do a collision test from the location of the first hit to the new destination. To calculate the new destination you just project the original destination onto the plane of the polygon hit. This will allow you to slide along walls.

float dot;
PLANE hit_plane;
VECTOR3 start;
VECTOR3 end;
VECTOR3 new_end;

dot = end.x*hit_plane.n.x+end.y*hit_plane.n.y+end.z*hit_plane.n.z;
dot = -dot - (hit_plane.d-SMALL_EPSILON);
new_end.x = end.x + plane.n.x*dot;
new_end.y = end.y + plane.n.y*dot;
new_end.z = end.z + plane.n.z*dot;
Check the BSP tutorial 7 in Gametutorials. It handle sliding and clamping. Also include a descriptive html about that topic.

http://www.gametutorials.com/CodeDump/CodeDump_Pg1.htm

Cheers
fpuig

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement