A MOUTHFUL OF QUESTIONS !!!

Started by
2 comments, last by KuroKage 20 years, 10 months ago
HI! I would like first to apologize for these mouthful questions. 1: What exactly does a console-based program mean ? and how does it differ from windows program or a DOS based program ? 2: How does game programming for Windows and for consoles (i.e PS2, Gamecube etc.) differ ? 3: in a 3D game for example, Do they use OpenGL/DirectX alone to create character models, terrains and any other graphics you see in the game ? If what I''m doing is prohibited (Placing 3 questions in one topic) please let me know. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Advertisement
Nobody minds a mouthful of questions just as long as they're not stupid ones.

1. A consle application is one that runs in dos box as opposed to a window. This means you don't need any windows libraries to get it started and is therefore easier when dealing with simple text applications etc.

2. Firstly, with console programming you have fixed hardware, meaning everyones machine will operate the same. PC programming however involves writing a rpogram that will accomodate the many different types of setup that people may have.

In terms of programming differences, it is mainly the graphics API being used. When doing graphics for a PC you may use one of the many libraries available such as OpenGL, DirectX, SDL etc. These are the libraries responsible for drawing graphics to the screen. Each console will have it's own API written specifically for it so the PS2 API will be different to the Gamecube. The only exception is the XBox which uses Microsofts DirectX.

3. Creating a 3D involves many different aspects but they are all bound together by the engine. Models will be created using a 3D art package and then exported to a file format that the engine will be designed to use. Levels will also be designed in an appropriate format. The engine will take these resources and display them using the chosen API. When making a PC game this will probably be OpenGL, DirectX or both.

Thats about it in a nutshell.
Hope it helps.

[edited by - m_wherrett on June 19, 2003 9:06:53 AM]
quote:
1: What exactly does a console-based program mean ? and how
does it differ from windows program or a DOS based program ?

Console based programs are simply programs whos output is directed to a console (a dos environment). Pure windows applications are those with a graphical front end.

quote:
2: How does game programming for Windows and for consoles
(i.e PS2, Gamecube etc.) differ ?

This isn''t an area I have much experience with, so I''ll leave it alone.

quote:
3: in a 3D game for example, Do they use OpenGL/DirectX
alone to create character models, terrains and any
other graphics you see in the game ?

No. World geometry is usually stored elsewhere, and read in at runtime. A variety of 3D model formats and editors exist for this purpose ( 3DSMax, Maya, Blender, etc ).
[size=2]
1. Console-based is another way to say a DOS based application. I''m sure by looking at it, you can find a few major differences between it and Windows.
2. Each console has its own SDK. Mostly, the coding style you must use, the syntax, and the tools differ.
3. They use a 3D modeling program to create the character or object.

Scott Simontis
Engineer in Training
Have a nice day!
Scott SimontisMy political blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement