• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vich

3D triangle surface

This topic is 5572 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know how to calculate the surface of a 3D triangle? The given data is 3 points in 3D space. *feels dumb :$*

Advertisement
define better the term surfaces or at least what exactly you want to calculate do you mean area of a surface in space ?

I mean the size of the triangle (not the line around it, but the surface size in cm²)

I cant understand what you really want. Are you talking about surface area of trianglemas you said you want it in cm cm. Then its very famous formula used in school math which i forgot too HAHA.

It seems that I don''t know the proper translation to English, but I thought it was (base*height)/2 for regular 2D surface size. I need that formula in 3D

Guest Anonymous Poster
Area(A,B,C)=|(B-A) x (C-A)|/2

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Area(A,B,C)=|(B-A) x (C-A)|/2

Is the "x" sign the dot product of the two resulting vectors?
Thanks for your post

quote:
Original post by DirectXXX
x is dot, sure area is a scalar quantity. and B-A and C-A are not vectors. They are points.

True, but if you consider a point to be a vector from (0,0,0) to (Ax, Ay, Az), then that''s a correct consideration too The dot product is also performed on vectors, not on points. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!