• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

n0ob

Control woes

This topic is 5655 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m writing a graphing calculator program, and I''m setting up the controls for it. So far I have an edit box and command button. It works now, but I want to refine it. I need it so I can type the equation and hit enter to draw it. Another problem is that the graph draws OVER the controls if the user moves it over them. I''d like it to go under them. I also will need to know how to make the visible/invisible. Now, all these things I need to know are related.. There''s got to be a book that has everything on this topic in it! Screw MSDN, they keep on showing dialog box examples. Any advice? Thanks for your time! Kings of Chaos

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by n0ob
I need it so I can type the equation and hit enter to draw it.

You will need to subclass the editbox so that you can handle an enter keypress.

quote:

Another problem is that the graph draws OVER the controls if the user moves it over them. I''d like it to go under them.

So you want the graph to be the background of the window? You can draw the graph in the WM_ERASEBKGND message.

quote:

I also will need to know how to make the visible/invisible.

I dont understand the question here. What needs to be visible/invisible?

quote:

Screw MSDN, they keep on showing dialog box examples. Any advice?

Use the MSDN more to become more familiar with it. It will become your best friend.

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm

Lol! Sorry about that:
"I also will need to know how to make the controls visible/invisible."

Thanks a bunch for all those suggestions! Is there a book where I can get a solid underlying understanding of these things? Thanks again!

Kings of Chaos

You can use ShowWindow() with the SW_HIDE flag set to hide the window (make it invisible) and the same function using SW_SHOW to make it visible.

The book I used to become initially familiar with the Win32 API was Programming Windows by Charles Petzold and I used the primer Winprog. After that though, I''ve really only used the documents from the MSDN.

Qui fut tout, et qui ne fut rien
Invader''s Realm

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!