• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

onfu

Modelling a human face in 3D

This topic is 5476 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has anyone ever come across a good tutorial for this? after playing around for a few hours in maya, I came up with this... http://plang.lawngnome.org/faces.jpg not too unhappy with the way it looks for such a small amount of time, but after talking to some people who''ve seen the wireframe, it won''t animate properly because i didn''t (and don''t know how to) use the correct polygonal strucure around the jaw, eyes, mouth...etc... there''s meant to be an optimal way to lay it all out for animation''s sake. so this is what i''m after... Can anyone suggest a place to look?

Advertisement
wow that looks pretty good. after adding the textures it will look perfect.i have alot of 3ds max tutorials for moddeling a face but no maya tutorial, sorry. by the way what did u make it out of box,sphere,... any tips i can use.

www.CGtalk.com has some great advice and tutorials, either application speicific or universal. Check it out. I would direct link to something that helps you more readly but I beleive this site should be explored first. Great resource.

I''ve tested one of those 3d modelling tutorials on video, I would recommend it. The instructor was good, his name was Tim kruger/kugler something.. and the tutorial was about head modeling. I found them over at www.3dlinks.com, but they are pretty expensive

It helps ALOT seeing someone experienced at work, showing all the tips and trix on video.. I made these two heads after watching:

But there are many great online tutorials also.. but they don''t move and talk like a video

-----------------------------
Sometimes a Guru meditation must be followed by a Vulcan neck grip.

hmm..those are very nice...

i dont think i can afford to pay for video tutorials at the moment but i''ll definitely consider it for the future.

thanks all for the links / sugegstions, etc...

ive finally got time to do a bit more in maya so im gonna see if i can sketch out a more logical and flowing facial structure to work from...

muchly appreciated-

ssjeci: it was initially a cube. i used almost nothing but the split polygon tool...occasionally the extrude tool.

the key to being able to make it smooth looking in such a short period was a mel script called "connect poly shape"..(i think that might all be one word)...do a google search. awesome tool.

it basically auto-subdivides the display of your object while you work on it, so it''s almost like your modelling with subdivisionaly surfaces, but you can still use all the normal polygonal editing tools, and you can turn off the subdivision if you want to do something else with the blocky version.

next thing i do thought i will probably stick to normal polygon editing, since i think it''s pribably an important skill to be able to do it manually.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I just stumbled accross this site and noticed that some of you are in need of free video-based tutorials. I have just the site for you : www.digital-tutors.com This site has some great tutorials for Maya, Photoshop, After Effects, etc. I believe all the ones on the web are free and you can also order cd-roms at a relatively cheap price. It also has forums that you can post questions and shots of your work. Go check it out!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!