When Encountered Randomly...

Started by
47 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by Mikyyf

If a part of the story is random weirdness (like the three headed giant, or the Castle Anthrax, etc.), then random encounters not only fit in with the story, but are an integral part of it. The randomness of Monty Python''s work is what makes them funny.

However, a game with a level of randomocity equivalent to a Monty Python sketch would not be much fun (unless there was some discernable underlying theme to the randomness).

There is an interesting and very good article by Ernest Adams (like all of his other articles) on how to do weirdness well in video games:

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19990212/ernest.htm

"Brave Sir Robin ran away, he turned his tail and fled" [too read the Gamasutra.com thread on weirdness]. "Shut up".:-)
Advertisement
Un-word of the day: Landfishian philosophy

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING SO DAMN RIGHT!

Don´t get so stuck on your holy STORY. Every random encounter is part of the plot.

Besides, if you do away random encounters then you have effectively killed experience based RPGs. ´Cause if you can´t go into the murder woods to mug a few orcs for cash and experience the whole accumulation of experience is pointless, as the amount of EXP collected would remain fixed within one thread of the story. Easy for the programmer but hell on the player. What´s the point of calling it roleplaying if i can´t really shape my character. THen you´d have to redesign the experience/level system from scratch to allow for interesting characters (and NOT allow the "average optimum").
And honestly, doesn´t it feel kind of good to return to the beginners cave of goblins to really give those damn goblins some after you´ve trained for hours (real time)?
Didn´t you all at least once return to Diablo dungeon level one to beat the crap out of the little bastards, with no weapons on?

Don´t revolutionise, reform!

Random encounters are good, players (me included) want random encounters. They don´t have to be special all the time. Sprinkle a few really special ones in, but not all the time or it becomes boring again.
Make them more interesting, give the player more options. Maybe let the other ones talk too. And if it´s just "give us your money or we´ll kill you". Or, if the player is sufficiently advanced "Here, kind sir, take this as a gift...."
Make the encounterees (does that word exist?) react to the players char´s appearance, level and gear.
Options, options and more options. Always good. Run away? Stay? Wait and look? sneak closer? walk closer? shout hi folks? sneak closer murder them in their sleep? ......

just think about it, you don´t hafta redo the world in a day..
quote:Original post by Hase

Besides, if you do away random encounters then you have effectively killed experience based RPGs.

He gets it, without knowing that he gets it, how Zen-like

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
I personally don''t like the idea of using random encounter for XP gaining. Random encounter should be a more generic term in itself. Its a great tool that has been abused by so much limited thought that i can no longer blame people for critising it.

I just had to get that off my chest.

WE are their,
"Sons of the Free"
Right; I mean, after all it''s random ENCOUNTER, not random FIGHT or something. Random encounters can be much more than just starting the battle enginge with random numbers for the enemy parameters; little stories, little sub-quests even, could be contained in the encounters. These quests could be totally random or taken from a big pool of predefined random encounters, maybe with changing a few parameters, of course always giving you the chance to interrupt the encounter and walk away. I also don''t think that you need random fights to gain exp, since there should be other ways to develop your character than by butchering monsters. Using random fights as an exp source is really pretty unoriginal and prevents "real" roleplaying; you force the player to constantly kill something or else he won''t be able to solve the game. First this is boring, and second, what if the player wants to play a pacifist?
--------------------------Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind...
Roderick brings up a good point. I cannot think of a single RPG that allowed its completion without physically hurting someone. That also makes me wonder if you can go through large sections of some games without killing anything, or even gaining experience that way. Maybe if experience was based on usage of a skill instead of HPs taken off. You would still be able to progress just using Petrifying and Time Stopping spells/items. Hmmm...
Well, I think the best system would be one who rewards you accordingly exactly to what you have done; if you want your characters to get better by going into the woods and bashing 1000s of monsters and gaining experience this way, fine, but after doing so, they should only be better in fighting; now they have a lot more experience in fighting but they haven''t learned anything about anything else. That''s something that always annoys me in "RPGs"; you kill lots of creatures, and this is the only way to get better, and after you advanced a level, you can, let''s say, increase your "ancient languages" skill...well, maybe some monster yelled their deathscreams in an ancient language, but usally you shouldn''t get better in such skills by killing things; if you want to train your characters in fighting, then fight; if you want them to get smarter, go into a library; if you want to make them better lockpickers, pick locks, read books about lock-picking or let them train by a professional thief...
--------------------------Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind...
So... are we talking about reforming the experience system?

Because basically that´s what it comes down to in RPG-discussions.

Learning by doing?

I think that would be a great option, but can anyone think of any recent game that did this?
(Heroes Quest I: So you want to be a Hero? comes to mind)

Yes, I´d love to see that in a game again.

Back to the topic. I agree with Roderik on this one. Encounter means encounter, not slaughter. But it can
The only problem with random "encounters" is that you´d have to make a huge library of sub- and mini quests. And I wouldn´t even go as far as to call them that.
If you create them "randomly" you´ll just end up saving the same cat/dog/princess again and again and again....

Maybe the experience point thing has to go alltogether.
Because in all the generice XP based RPGs the distribution of XP has dictated the course of action. (Help the poor woman find the lost puppy - get 1000xp, kill the puppy, rob the woman 20xp and an negligable sum of gold).

I like the idea of going through a game not having to kill all the time, but not because I´m such a nice guy. An alive experience is the only thing i want from an RPG. If I don´t have to kill to get to my goals it´s good, but the average player will kill anyway, because he´s used to it. Sad as it is, but in your next-generation RPG you´d actually need a reason for not killing. (Like the town guard coming to hang you...)
I personally would still resort to murder (as I´m a mean bastard). If I snuck into the orc camp and petrified the warriors chances are i´d still want to cut their throats or push them into the river/fire whatever just to make sure they don´t cause any trouble.

I guess what I´m trying to say is that when talking about RPGs one must not consider anything as "good" or "bad". The aim of a good (so far only tabletops can do this) RPG is to give the player the freedom to solve the problems any way he sees fit. If he wants to kill, let him. If he wants to talk, let him.
But WHEN he solves a problem he should be rewarded equally for equal outcome.

Example: a gate, two guards. For whatever reason you (player) want in, they won´t let you. Kill them, poison their wine, make them sleep, petrify them, talk your way through..... it should not matter.

If the player can succeede with every skill true roleplaying is finally possible on the computer. Because then you´ll finally be able to get through without fighting/magic/talking, whichever you choose.

But i suspect that your average player will not want this. Think of DIablo. No story, no surprises, no roleplaying. But people love it. So i guess RPGs will always have a strong violence factor...
quote:Original post by Gollum

What if there were specific NPCs/monsters roaming around according to their ai, and they could change their environment?

For instance, what if they left "tracks" (visual or in the code, depending on your game) which the hero could notice or not, depending on her/his tracking ability? The tracks would fade/become harder to find over time.

What if trolls hunt deer and rabbits too (after all, are heroes common enough to subsist on?), and you could find fresh kills?

You''re walking through the forest, and suddenly a rabbit runs by. Then a flock of birds flies past you. You''re wondering what''s up, as a bunch of creatures all flow past you, and then you start to hear crashing noises. You see trees shake. And finally, a giant bursts through the brush!

Ah, I can''t wait until computers are powerful enough to run all the particle systems I want in games...

Why wait? This could work now, actually. Check out Creatures 3. On a Pentium II it can maintain 12 AI''s of animal intelligence. The only thing you would need to do is add a combat system and make it first-person drivable. The trick is to set up a bunch of ecosystem-areas within your game with 12 or so AIs each, (more if you take out some of the excessive realism Creatures 3 opted for) and have each open state when you enter and save state when you leave. This would mean that animals were in the same place when you re-enter an area, but you could randomize after opening state - more so for longer time intervals since you were there.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement