[touch me]

Started by
30 comments, last by aDasTRa 23 years, 10 months ago
i was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on a good interface for a sword play kind of game. i am thinking about a hand to hand, close quaters kind of fighting (gladiatorial like), with weapons like swords, daggers, maces, morning stars, shields, spears, halberds, etc. if at all possible i was thinking of having each arm move independantly of the other, while being able to move front/back, side to side, and jump, roll, twist, etc. the game is played from a floating third person camera. i was thinking about something kinda like die by the sword (but i thought that didn''t work very well)...any ideas? also, as mentioned in the end goblin genocide post, does anyone have any suggestions on non-violent character interaction interfaces? i am thnking of mmany communication, be it speech, text and body language/gestures... thanks in advance for the help.... <(o)>
<(o)>
Advertisement
The mouse is the most powerful and convientient tool in gaming, because it is concrete and not abstract. That''s why it took off in FPS, because it uses the Hand-eye coordination part of our brain.

An interface in 3d that had a hit-by-location combat system with a moving camera would be great, so long as the camera keeps the opponant attackable. Player clicks on leg to attempt to attack leg, etc. Speed and accuracy become a factor of attributes, high skill in sword might mean you actually "follow" the limb if it moves post attack. Or, everyone could do that, and skill would equal how well. Anyway...

Basically taking daiblo''s controls and throwing it over a 3d engine might work pretty well. Speak by mouseover, highlight selectable objects. Just some thoughts...
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
PS- Great title for the thread. Everyone in the forum will have to click through ONCE to see what you mean! =)

I approve... =)

Edited by - Landfish on June 14, 2000 12:17:40 AM
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
i just had an idea (from your suggestion). by clicking either the right or left mouse button the character''s respective arm swings or moves to the object which was clicked on. ie if the character is holding a sword in it''s left hand and a shield in the right, and the left button is clicked on an opponent''s head, the sword arm will swing to the head, hopefully chopping it off...i wonder how that would work for parrying though...might still work.

how many keys would people feel comfortable using to move the character''s feet? i was thinking about either the num pad (2, 4, 6, 8 moving respective directions, 7&9 twist, 1&3 roll, 0 jump, . duck). does that seem like too much. it is kinda hard to say i guess without actually trying it.

thanks for the reply landfish...you really got me thinking here...

<(o)>
<(o)>
Gotta love the direct controle. :-)
perhaps have the option to switch between un-co and kick ass controles?

Nothing craper that feeling like your not in complete controle of your character.

As Mr Cup always says,
''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
As Mr Cup always says,''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
The interface should be very simple. The player should have the impression of being a part of the world he plays in. He shouldn''t have to think "What''s the key for attack?", but rather hit it "instinctively"...
So I would say this key setting is a bit too complicated, because with one hand (normally 5 fingers you have to control 11 (!) keys simultaneously.
You should think of a more user friendly way of controlling the hero...

Yours,

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses...
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Hey! I am indicated as "Fanatic" now!
I know that''s not the topic you''re discussing about ...sorry, I just wanted to give a yell of excitement ...

By the way: How many messages do I have to post until I reach the state "Avatar"?

Indeterminatus

I have one suggestion for controlling the hero:

What about a RPG-like control? It would be cool if the strength of the attack would be evaluated. Did you get it? Hmmm...I''ll explain it a bit better:

The longer a player holds down the mouse button, the stronger the attack will be. If he releases the button very late, an attack with high impact is unleashed...if he releases the button earlier, the attack will be less strong, but he''ll be able to attack faster...

I hope you got it now...Maybe you can need it anyhow ...

Yours,

Indeterminatus

You should all look at Die By the Sword (by Treyarch).
Make absolutely certain you have sidestrafing buttons. There''s nothing more annoying than a game that makes you turn in degrees (Phantom Menace) it really gets me. But if you use the mouse for aiming attacks, you may need to make the handle left''right looking another way.

Let''s face it, Quake controls are actually pretty good, even if the game is drivel. I like the time = attack strength idea, alot. I''m going to steal it. =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement