Loading objects in OpenGL

Started by
2 comments, last by Gandalf 23 years, 10 months ago
Are there any standard format in OpenGL to load a object? Like the x-files in d3d. I´m aware of glut functions like gluSphere. Almost everyone can make a cube or even a pyramid, but to make a helicopter by hand is more difficult and takes time. Gandalf the White
Gandalf the Black
Advertisement
Hrm - as far as my opengl knowledge goes there isn''t any standard opengl import object type format that you are talking about. Generally you have to read whatever file specification u want to use yourself and implement that. I''m making my own 3d-editor (a quick and nasty one) that''ll basically save an object and then I put that into a display list or whatever.
sorry
It is very bad. A weak spot in OpenGL.

Do you design monsters and objects also in your editor?

Gandalf the White

Gandalf the Black
No, it isn''t a weak spot in oGL, but maybe in a programmer who is too lazy to write his own routine to import files. First of all, there are a billion 3D formats out there, and second of all, why settle for just one format? Most 3D packages will let you export an ascii file with scene and model data, and there are a ton of tutorials on the net about loading 3ds, ase (MAX scene export), obj and Lightwave files. You just have to do a little bit of looking around. Hell, you can have the routine I wrote to load in MAX files if you want it.
If you''re looking for samples, go to nate.scuzzy.net and there are a bunch of samples for loading in model data. There are also some on www.opengl.org, and I''m going to put mine on my site once I get around to it.

-BacksideSnap-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement