• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Diodor

Please test my RTS game - Pax Solaris

120 posts in this topic

Hey! It worked! i took control of the center, and then i took over one of the branches, and the white star was all that was left there, and so i took that over, and they had been fighting for it so it wasnt that big, then i loaded all my troops from the two branches into it, and then.... well you know.... UNIVERSAL DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

anyway, doider: what language do you use? i have a strong feeling its DirectX in C++, but correct me if im wrong. oh and i have been playing Civ3^_^ its just so fun! gunna go play crossed again, cya!

Quantum

quote:

Original post by D_JildQuantum
anyway, doider: what language do you use? i have a strong feeling its DirectX in C++, but correct me if im wrong.

Close. C and SDL (and SDL_Image and SDL_Net).

Nice game.
I think that the larget problem is to do with the graphics - someone said it was difficult to notice that their stars were being attacked. Perhaps the stars that are under attack should be highlighted with a red box or something like that, which would make the game better. Also, I found the graphics to generally be boring. It might be nice if the stars slowly rotated. Tiny explosions that go off continuesly on the stars that are under attack would be good.

Since the game is SDL based, would you be willing to compile a Mac OS X build? It should take all of half an hour to get it up and running.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making cross-platform software actaully cross-platform (meaning compiles on OS X)

quote:

Original post by switfcoder

Since the game is SDL based, would you be willing to compile a Mac OS X build? It should take all of half an hour to get it up and running.

Yes, I meant to do this eventually. I expect there will be some issues though. Can I compile and test the Mac OS X build on a Windows box? Here and there I have been using some Windows functions, so the code will also need some minor changes. I''m not sure the Armadillo protection system I use will work on the Mac, likewise for the Inno Setup installer. The SDL dll''s may need a recompile too (I compile using Mingw and Dev-Cpp - do these work on the Mac as well?). And lastly, do Mac mice still have only one button?

Actually, I have to agree with all the people who say it''s difficult to notice when your stars get attacked. I will often (esp when I hold the white star) not notice that my star is under attack (and I probably have reinforcements standing pretty close) until it, and all the planets behind it are gone. Needless to say, this is an easy way to lose a game. Despite the fact that I''m relatively game-savvy, I don''t always realize that I no longer HOLD the damn planet, and I try and move troops to/from it... and it doesn''t work! (For someone who can make a 1500 on the SAT1 REASONING test, you''d think I''d notice when ''my'' planet is no longer held by white numbers...) And I don''t realize (again) that I''ve lost all but three planets until it''s much too late. So maybe red arrows when someone attacks your planets? I don''t know, but it sure would help.

-geo
red eye is coming back (the old site is still around, albeit in a weird transitional form)

It''s a great game. My suggestions would be like the others: make it easier to see when you''re attacked. I once totally trashed a game on the Risk map because I had let the computer go in through the white star(Alaska) when I was busy pushing east and never turned my attention back to the west until I noticed that it wasn''t white anymore...

Put some effects on stars losing ships, and add color to lines of supply for selected stars so that you can tell what''s missing immediately instead of noticing that one of the stars has 100 ships on it going to waste.

Hmm. One more thing that has been annoying me. It keeps pausing, for no apparent reason. Sometimes I''ll just be sitting there watching, move the mouse and bam! it''s paused, or I''ll be clicking around and bam! it pauses. Just wondering. I can''t find any particular reason for this.

-geo
red eye is coming back (the old site is still around, albeit in a weird transitional form)

quote:

Original post by RTF

Put some effects on stars losing ships, and add color to lines of supply for selected stars so that you can tell what's missing immediately instead of noticing that one of the stars has 100 ships on it going to waste.

That's a good idea and I'll probably add it to the game.

quote:

Original post by Avatar God

Hmm. One more thing that has been annoying me. It keeps pausing, for no apparent reason. Sometimes I'll just be sitting there watching, move the mouse and bam! it's paused, or I'll be clicking around and bam! it pauses. Just wondering. I can't find any particular reason for this.

That's very annoying news. I thought I cleared that bug. The game is supposed to pause automatically when it loses focus. Is it possible that this happens - some app in the background misbehaving? How often does this happen?

[edited by - Diodor on July 15, 2003 3:33:26 AM]

Hey i just thaught i might let you know, This could become the next Stick Soldiers And, i have been messing around with the editor, and come up with some really interesting designs. The first one is called Quantum, and there are four outer squres of 5 stars, each outer squre connected by a white star to a wierd design in the center, and i made one called Focus, where theres mabee 15 stars that 3 players have to get along on, and then you have this other area the same size, and they both are unlinked except for one star. Let me know if you want to add them into the game, or sell them as updates or something :-D

Quantum

quote:
Hey i just thaught i might let you know, This could become the next Stick Soldiers

AARGH!!1
it was bound to happen someday...but i thought Stick Soldiers got pwned by Soldat?

Well, it pauses correctly when the window blurs - for which I am very grateful - but I can't figure out quite why it's doing this. But, knowing my computer, Norton or some other stupid program decided to do something (which is why I can't play any non-window-based or alt-tabbable games anymore... and since that is mostly everything, I'm very annoyed.)

Anyways, it's not really a problem, I was just curious.

But I still would like to know when I'm being attacked...

//I never got to play stick soldiers. I tried whenever the hell ago it was (on a different sn) but nothing ever ran. I don't particularly remember what the problem was.

-geo

[edited by - Avatar God on July 15, 2003 12:42:47 AM]

quote:

This could become the next Stick Soldiers

Heh Well, it''s pretty hard to beat a game where you need to score a headshot and blow someone''s head off because you lost your own and need a replacement.

quote:

Let me know if you want to add them into the game, or sell them as updates or something :-D

Sure, let me have a look at them (diodor at nbsd.de). There''ll be a place in the game for user made levels in a future update.

Speaking of updates, the time control update is online now, featuring 1x, 2x and 4x game speeds.

quote:

hehe i have had the update for 6 days now :-P anyway, do i just email you the custom ones?

Yes.. unless you put them on a site for everyone reading this thread to get.

EDIT: Or you could simply post them here inside source tags as the levels are common text files.

[edited by - Diodor on July 16, 2003 12:01:27 PM]

quote:
Original post by demonrazor2003
man dammit!

simplistic in its design, but one difficult p-o-s(for me anyways)in its gameplay.

ummmm....ok.
burn shit, die, and eat, heretic. this game pwns.

Well, here is my first attempt that i made:

players=4
stars=37
registered=1
scalex=1.0
scaley=1.0
dx=0
dy=0
T-A-s0-x282-y167-n1 4
Y-A-s10-x190-y163-n1 4
Y-A-s10-x197-y82-n1 4
Y-A-s10-x279-y78-n1 4
G-A-s10-x239-y122-n4 2 3 1 0
G-A-s0-x667-y123-n4 19 12 13 11
G-A-s0-x257-y420-n4 16 14 15 17
G-A-s0-x651-y391-n4 18 9 8 10
Y-C-s10-x589-y448-n1 7
Y-C-s10-x713-y338-n1 7
Y-C-s10-x713-y449-n1 7
Y-D-s10-x723-y188-n1 5
Y-D-s10-x617-y77-n1 5
Y-D-s10-x716-y79-n1 5
Y-B-s10-x304-y462-n1 6
Y-B-s10-x212-y466-n1 6
Y-B-s10-x200-y370-n1 6
T-A-s0-x311-y369-n1 6
T-A-s0-x605-y354-n1 7
T-A-s0-x628-y160-n1 5
T-A-s0-x460-y269-n4 21 22 23 24
V-A-s0-x459-y218-n5 20 24 22 25 26
V-A-s0-x519-y272-n5 20 21 23 26 27
V-A-s0-x464-y321-n5 20 22 24 27 28
V-A-s0-x403-y265-n5 20 21 23 25 28
Y-A-s0-x393-y205-n6 24 21 29 30 33 34
Y-A-s0-x524-y205-n6 21 22 31 30 34 36
Y-A-s0-x527-y329-n6 22 23 32 31 36 35
Y-A-s0-x386-y326-n6 23 24 29 32 35 33
B-A-s0-x340-y262-n3 25 28 33
B-A-s0-x470-y165-n3 26 25 34
B-A-s0-x585-y279-n3 27 26 36
B-A-s0-x456-y387-n3 28 27 35
R-A-s0-x286-y259-n3 29 25 28
R-A-s0-x470-y111-n3 25 30 26
R-A-s0-x457-y439-n3 27 32 28
R-A-s0-x641-y281-n3 26 31 27

Quantum

Sorry to be so long in replying:

Mac mice either have more than one button, or a simulated right-click, which works just as well.

No, you can''t build/test a mac build on a windows box (Some people has done this on Linux, but it is not very reliable), You would need a Mac, but surely you know someone with one?

Macs come with their own compiler and IDE, and the Dynamic Libs for mac SDL can be downloaded already compiled.

Your code may need some tweeking, but not much, just replacing DWORDs with ints and removing any inline assembly statements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making cross-platform software actually cross-platform (meaning compiles on OS X)

Had to try it online before I replied.

Here are my thoughts:

1) This game rocks.
2) The endgame AI appears to need some additional work - it has a tendency to "hole up" against a superior opponent. I''ll give you an example:
In a game earlier today, my bud and I were playing on a map with two AIs. We got beat, but here''s the interesting part: near the end of the middle of the game, we had sufficient resources to team up and beat the dominating AI. This, in fact, would have been easy, except that the red AI holed up in its corner with about 80-100 units just cordoning off its production squares. Several times it had the opportunity to inflict a lot of damage to the dominant AI but instead it simply held ground.

I respect your skills here - the AI is pretty fantastic - but it would be even better if it handled this situation a little better.

Anyway, great work and you''ll be seeing my money soon enough.

Thanks,
ld

more ideas, if you''re interested:

- a (configurable?) key mapped to "say" a la most fps and rts games would be helpful
- clusters a la risk continents? If you hold a particular cluster, a production bonus ensues. As all good risk players know, this makes a big difference in your ability to move on the board, but you don''t get to hold for long...

ld

quote:

Original post by swiftcoder

No, you can''t build/test a mac build on a windows box (Some people has done this on Linux, but it is not very reliable), You would need a Mac, but surely you know someone with one?

Actually I can''t recall anyone having a mac, thinking about buying one, or even selling or advertising macs around here. It''s all PC. I''ll have to try at my uni.

quote:

Original post by liquiddark
2) The endgame AI appears to need some additional work - it has a tendency to "hole up" against a superior opponent.

Yes, that''s what it always does - it will not attack without having a certain advantage over the star it wants to attack.

quote:

In a game earlier today, my bud and I were playing on a map with two AIs. We got beat, but here''s the interesting part: near the end of the middle of the game, we had sufficient resources to team up and beat the dominating AI. This, in fact, would have been easy, except that the red AI holed up in its corner with about 80-100 units just cordoning off its production squares. Several times it had the opportunity to inflict a lot of damage to the dominant AI but instead it simply held

I assume the dominant AI had a significant force pitted against the red player. If you could have broken through its lines all the way to the border with the red player, then the units guarding the border would have attacked you and would have driven you back and followed you. But this would have caused the red player to attack the border and perhaps even break it.

The AI is pretty simple and predictable, but this very predictability allows you to plan your moves ahead.

quote:

Also, in the IP boxes please enable typing from the keypad!
- a (configurable?) key mapped to "say" a la most fps and rts games would be helpful

Thanks for these ideas, I''ll add them in the next update.

quote:

- clusters a la risk continents? If you hold a particular cluster, a production bonus ensues. As all good risk players know, this makes a big difference in your ability to move on the board, but you don''t get to hold for long...

I thought about adding continents but I decided against it as it always helps the dominant player, and I have nothing as strong as the risk cards to change the balance of power - since the game is real-time it is also a lot harder to break the control of a continent. But what I have found in both Risk and Pax is that continents form naturally as a means of defense, even without the production bonus - the gameplay is still there.

Shift-tab in the ip boxes to move backwards would be nice, too. Simple windows standard behaviour, but it (hopefully) improves your UI that extra bit.

ld