OpenGL on mac

Started by
9 comments, last by CraigStanton 23 years, 10 months ago
I am just learning to write in OpenGL and want to write little sharware stuff in CodeWarrior for MacOS. I have IDE 2.1 and 3.2 (from the discover programming CDs) of CW and knowledge of Java from with CW but that is about it. Can anyone give me some simple steps to getting the MacOS examples to compile, I get it complaining about no entry point, and the linker tag in settings only has a ''ftp post linker'' option. Craig c_stanton@hotmail.com
Advertisement
Sounds sorta like you''ve got the project set up as a Java project, you need to create a new MacOS C/C++. Now, does that version of CodeWarrior compile for PowerPC Macs or only 68k? I had an older version of Discover Programming which would only compile for 68k.

Morgan
It is set up has a C/C++ project, but the problem appears to be with the linker. The tutorials come with it set to PPC linker, but this takes away the options to set main as ''__start''. When i set the linker to CFM68K the option comes back, but it won''t compile because the tutorial uses non 68k libraries! argh!

and ideas for the next step?

Craig
I''ve programmed in Direct3D... but how is OpenGL??

is OpenGL good? fast?? i have an onboard AGP
so i constantly get errors with apps and games that require OpenGL.....

and if i want to get started... where do i start??

IDE?? compiler?? tutorials?? samples??
Craig, What do you mean when you say it takes away the ability to set main as ''__start''? Is it grayed out? blank?

Morgan
The settings dialog of Codewarrior has a few options on the left hand side. Under ''linker'' should be options like ''CFM68k'' and ''PPC'' however I don''t get the one that has a text field called ''main'' so i can''t set it to ''__start'' which is what i have been told to do by the Anthoy Parker (he converted NeHe tutorials to mac). I think the problem is that I have the Discover Programming version of CW and that it doen''t give me the PPC compiler, as OpenGL is PPc only i have a big problem here.

craig
sup Craig,

Try Apple''s MPW. It''s a totaly free C/C++, Pascal and asm developer tool. It''s text-based and not a beuty like CodeWarrior but has some nice scripting-feutures. MPW is a good option to CodeWoarrior.

Get it at:
http://developer.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/

You have to recompile the glut, aux and tk librarys, mail me if you run in any proplems.
macs sucks dick. so buy a mother fuckin PC bitch
Styles
Shut the fuck up... have you noticed that Windows sucks? Get a true GUI OS like Be, MacOS, or MacOS X (not server). They kick ass! And learn to code, quit complaining that the Win32 API is too difficult for coding GUIs, stop using MFC, VC++, get CodeWarrior, and take a lesson from a Mac coder every once in a while.

Morgan
awigga!
First, Craigs problem wasn''t os-spezific, his compiler was limited to 68k only because its a "discover programming"-version; not a released one.

Second, it''s a shame that people often (very often) reduce themself on a single thing like a os. Windows-user fight Mac-user, Console-user fight PC-user, HP-user fight Texas-user and everyone likes Linux but noone uses it. The funny part of this "my-one-and-only"-way of thinking is when a chessmaster (or someone) says "computer sucks" they all cooperate defending the computers. Is that human beeing?!?

I mean BE happy there are other things on market than the Ultimate One And Only. Ever wondered where this little, handy trash-icon on your win3.0 desktop comes from? Be happy with your choice, no mac-user will ever force you to anything and be glad to have not the problems others have.

and remember: no risk no fun :o)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement