• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gandalf

Please help me with a OpenGL Light Problem!

This topic is 6610 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Help! I try to implement a spotlight in a simple OpenGL application. The light is located at (0,0,0). The objects is 15 units away from the lightsource (0,0,-15). There is no light! Everything is almost black. Maybe the range is incorrect. //////////////////// CODE SECTION START ///////////(///////////////////////////////////// GLfloat LightDirection[] = { 0.00f, 0.00f, 1.00f, 0.0f }; //last value toggle dir/pos on off GLfloat LightPosition[] = { 0.00f, 0.00f, 0.00f, 1.0f }; //last value toggle dir/pos on off // Set position glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_POSITION, LightPosition); // Set direction glLightfv(GL_LIGHT0, GL_SPOT_DIRECTION, LightDirection); // Set spread angle glLightf(GL_LIGHT0, GL_SPOT_CUTOFF, (g_PI/8)*g_RADTODEG); // Set intensity. Higher value = more focus ? glLightf(GL_LIGHT0, GL_SPOT_EXPONENT, ((g_PI/8)/2)*g_RADTODEG); // Set attenuation. Here im not sure what I´m doing! glLightf(GL_LIGHT0, GL_CONSTANT_ATTENUATION, 1.0f); glLightf(GL_LIGHT0, GL_LINEAR_ATTENUATION, 0.0f); glLightf(GL_LIGHT0, GL_QUADRATIC_ATTENUATION, 0.0f); //////////////////// CODE SECTION END ///////////(///////////////////////////////////// If somebody have succeded to add a spotlight to a scene, please show me some code how to do it! Here is a list on things I already have tried: * Moving x,y,z position up and down. * Used GL_SPOT_DIRECTION to set position (with 4:th value set to 1). * Changed spread angle to almost everything. * Raised/decreased attenuation params without any effect. I''m thinking of commit suicide soon! This driving me crasy! It´s easy in both RM and IM. Gandalf the White

Advertisement
your target meshes probably have a low vertex count on them - openGL does a per-vertex lighting, meaning each vertex is coloured, not pixel. increase the density of the meshes and it shouls work.

// Set intensity. Higher value = more focus ?

no, just a brighter color for a longer distance

this might help (i''m not promising)

CJ

But if I decrease the spotlight cone (glLightf(GL_LIGHT0, GL_SPOT_CUTOFF, (g_PI/8)*g_RADTODEG)) then all objects outside the the cone should bee compleatly dark, because I only use one light. This effekt does not show up in my program and that´s why I´m not happy yet.

What other things can be wrong?

Edited by - Gandalf on June 16, 2000 3:40:47 AM

Hi,

this is some code from my last app where spotlight is ok :

GLfloat light1_position[]={-0.5f, 0.7f, +0.6f, 0.0};
GLfloat spot_direction[]={1.0,1.0,1.0};
glEnable(GL_LIGHTING);
glEnable(GL_LIGHT1);
glLightfv(GL_LIGHT1, GL_POSITION,light1_position);
glLightf(GL_LIGHT1, GL_CONSTANT_ATTENUATION,1.5);
glLightf(GL_LIGHT1, GL_LINEAR_ATTENUATION,0.5);
glLightf(GL_LIGHT1, GL_QUADRATIC_ATTENUATION,0.2f);
glLightf(GL_LIGHT1,GL_SPOT_CUTOFF,180);
glLightfv(GL_LIGHT1,GL_SPOT_DIRECTION,spot_direction);
glLightf(GL_LIGHT1,GL_SPOT_EXPONENT,2.0);

hope that help

lunasol

That works becuase you are setting GL_SPOT_CUTOFF to 180 degree witch means you are not using spotlights at all. Sorry, but that is not what I want.

Gandalf the White

Shouldn''t the direction of the spotlight be pointing to the screen instead of pointing to you (positive Z-axis)?

You say :
GLfloat LightDirection[] = { 0.00f, 0.00f, 1.00f, 0.0f };

When the spot is at (0,0,0) and the object is at (0,0,-15), the
spot should point to the negative Z-axis.

Hope this helps.

Tatum

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!