True, or false?

Started by
5 comments, last by Tiso 23 years, 10 months ago
I''ve heard that game graphics can be done in regular old paint, you know the paint program that comes with mose computers? I''m just curious to know is this true, is it hard to do? Ect. Thanks! ............ Guardian Angel Interactive
Advertisement
It can be done so... but I wish you better luck than a god to do so... Otherwise you will end up with really poor graphics.

Seriously, you are better to use professionnal applications like Adobe Photoshop, 3D Studio/Lightwave/SoftImage, etc etc etc. If you do it in Paintbrush, you will really get poor quality images, although it isn''t a bad program for doing line, circles, square, ...

Programming is:A.The art of debugging a blank sheet of paper (or an empty file).B.A pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.C.The most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes are not mandatory).
Now I know what I'm made of, and I'm afraid of it...
Hey, you COULD write your gfx in a hex editor if you like to...

But sure, you can use paint for your game GFX, you just need a bitmap importer in your program... I do think you will have some problems using mspaint to make GOOD gfx...

Personaly, i use Photoshop

========================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net
=======================Game project(s):www.fiend.cjb.net
It''s funny that you ask this, because I wrote an entire game with a map tile system using the standard windows paint program and it worked fine. However, you must realize that all it is good for is pasting already made images togther and cleaning up a few pixels. If you are looking to do things like edge antialiasing, using effect filters to make the image look better, or saving compressed images, you will have to have some other sort of program. A few of my favorites are Micrografx Picture Publisher, and Adobe Photo Shop, but be prepared to fork out some dough for those programs, they are fairly pricey.
no. bottom line: paint sucks. why? because it can only draw simple shapes and can only fill colors. if you zoom in on real game graphics, you'll notice that on any given pixle, there is not the exact same color in the pixle next to it on any side. only a new shade of that color (in other words, you cant do anything like a light source would produce)

paint can not make complicated graphics, only ones with the same color as one whole object (unless you take hours and hours to actually sit there and draw it out pixle by pixle, and even then, it would suck).

real game art dudes use things like photoshop, i'll bet.

Edited by - gameprogrammerwiz on June 15, 2000 6:14:22 PM
==============================
whats a signature?
htm[s]l[/s]
Well, a .bmp file is a .bmp file irrespective of if you produced it by hand-entering hex values into DEBUG, using Windows Paint, or using several thousand dollars worth of paint program. I could even write a little BASIC program on my palmtop to create .bmp files, and they''d work just fine (as long as my BASIC was good). A file format is a file format, it really doesn''t matter what produced it...... as long as the 1s and 0s are where the format says they should be, your .bmp will work.

That said, it would be masochistic to use DEBUG, and painful to use Paint. The feature sets of programs such as Paintshop Pro, Photoshop, Microsoft Image Editor (great for editing alpha channels), etc. are so much more useful!
Slow down everyone! I''m not that stupid to try and make a game in paint. I was just curious! LOL

Guardian Angel Interactive

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement