Install program

Started by
15 comments, last by TheGriz42 23 years, 10 months ago
Ok, I''m tempted to ask this. What the hell is an OS RING?
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Icarus
Why would you want to delete the install executable. Perhaps the user wants to keep it.
-Andreas

agreed... i have a download folder with all sorts of install programs. i burn that folder to CD-R and use it in the case of a (Windows) reinstall...

i''d very much prefer that you don''t delete files on me

- n8

nathany.com
How can I make my own instalation file? Is it a compressor or something?

Thanks, Arthur(rockslave)
import money.*;#include "cas.h"uses bucks;
drawing on my IT contractor days.....

you can set up a system that deletes the files on the next reboot. You will find a windows program called wininit.exe (part of win95/98) that ALWAYS runs on boot. it reads a file called wininit.ini to see if there are any files that need removing, renaming or replacing. if you place this in the file:

c:\install.exe = NUL

then winint will delete your file on reboot. This is the way MS Office install replaces in use files, and is the reason you need to reboot after upgrading office and many other apps. Once the file is processed it gets renamed to wininit.bak. Look for it in your windows directory and you will see the last install program that used it.

Cool eh?

http://www.positech.co.uk
Anyone ever tried making a key with the content "del Drive:\Path\Install.exe" at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce?
I''m thinking OS RING has somethin'' to do with NASA''s space shuttle,
although I could be wrong.
Here''s what I know about rings (and it could be wrong):

The OS has a bunch of different "rings," sort of like access levels, between it and the hardware. The kernel is on ring 0, which means it operates directly on the hardware, no overhead, the lowest level you can have. In Windows, nothing except drivers and the kernel run on ring 0 (I think). I think I remember hearing somewhere that applications run on like ring 5 or something. Is that correct?

Anyway, as far as I know, a ring is basically a certain logical level above the hardware. The lower the ring, the closer to the hardware, the higher the ring, the more levels of OS code you have to go through to get the job done.

Please, correct me if I''m wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement