Need feedback on DOS 1-on-1 deathmatch game

Started by
12 comments, last by iridia 23 years, 10 months ago
I am currently developing a game for DOS where you and a friend battle it out against each other. It''s kinda like a platform game, but there are no cpu enemies to defeat, only your human opponent. The main game engine is nearly finished, but there are no menus and no titlescreen yet. The speed of the game is not yet determined by the internal clock, so it will run faster on a faster computer. The game is speed-optimized for a PIII 450 or 500, running at slightly over 100 fps. I need feedback on the gameplay, thing to add/remove/improve. get the game at http://w1.875.telia.com/~u87504797/PROG/m3test.zip
Advertisement
pretty neat but its WAAAAAY too slow!

a cool idea though! just needs to be sped up and better graphics
Ok, it really needs a fast machine now to flow neatly, but I''ll fix that soon... it''ll only take ONE more line of code to allow the user to choose a lower ideal fps, that is, skip frames from being dislayed.

I tosses in a titlescreen, just for the sake of it...

Ok, ignore that "soon" part above... I just fixed it...

now, to speed up the game, start it with a number as a commandline parameter.

c:\where-ever-you-have-the-game\mortar 2, for example, starts the game and makes it display only every 2nd frame, giving it a great boost in terms of speed.
Very cool. I''m betting that''s gonna be fun playing with someone else. I like the particle explosions.

-Suggestion-
Use a timer so you don''t have to skip frames. I''m sure you can get this to work on a pentium 100 if done correctly.

------------------------
Captured Reality.
thats cool! reminds me of worms, just realtime... just needs to be smooth and fast and it''d be quite adictive....

-----------------------------
-cow_in_the_well

http://cowswell.gda.ods.org/

- Thomas Cowellwebsite | journal | engine video

Hi

Funny game, tried it just alone, but think it''s much fun for two.
Looking forward to see it ready, with different levels etc.

By the way I tried it on a P133 and it was fast enough.
May the force be with you
One word:

AWESOME!!!!

Good work!!
Jaap Suter
____________________________Mmmm, I''ll have to think of one.
That game was great! I like the weapons, too. One suggestion, and one question... Is that how all arenas will be? The suggestion... the characters should be larger.
Well, I think that larger characters would make the arena feel a bit "tight". As for the style of the arenas, I don''t know exactly how they will be, but I''ll try to make the as diverse as possible.
Dude, this rocks. Sometimes I wish I could have gotten into games 10 years earlier, so that I could make games like this (commercially, I mean). My feedback:

- The player and arena size are perfect.
- The variety of weapons is great. But, considering how difficult it is to aim with keys, maybe you could have a target-locking system and homing weapons.
- An idea: I started a 2D game kinda like this once, and it had trampolines (not very realistic/logical, but pretty fun).
- Real-time lighting would be cool.
- Animation for running and jumping would be cool.
- How ''bout some simulated water? With today''s machines, you could afford to simulate water as pixel-sized particles. So you could have a pool of water, and a player could shoot out the bottom, causing some tunnel to flood

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement