Getting Around Windows

Started by
5 comments, last by Cecil 23 years, 10 months ago
Hey all, I am trying to create a program that will work in Windows 95/98 but without using any kind of API Funciton calls or any Windows Libraries. Is this at all possible? I am willing to put in the time and work to get around it, but i am worried that there IS NO WAY TO GET Around it. What do you guys think? -Cecil
Advertisement
Where there''s a will there''s a way, but, the amount of will required to do that, IMHO, is at an obnoxiously high level.
OK well I am very interested. Please tell me how to get around it. Are there any sites on the net that explain what you are talking about in some detail?

-Cecil
If you intend to create a Windows GUI app without any Windows'' API, then you''re doomed. Remember the "I" in API stands for "Interface". You can''t do a thing without an interface.

Unless you''re doing console stuff...

Same thing for MacOS, X-Windows, or whatever.

EL
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
Cecil, I''m going to stick my neck out here and say that I cannot see a way around it, I may be wrong, but as I understand it, to get any kind of program working in Win95/98 you have to interperete messages, and thats (going to be some of) your specific function calls.

Granted, there are ways to get a program working with a minimun amount of specific calls, but I do not think that you can do it totally without them.

That said, I''m looking into it

-Mezz
No, you can''t build a Windows application without calling Windows functions. Much like you can''t build a Mac application without calling Mac functions.

Like it''s been said, you could do a console application, but I doubt that''s what you had in mind.

You could use a cross-platform toolkit that abstracts most or all OS-level stuff (lots of stuff try, like GLUT, SDL, etc.). You might also go with Java.
Creativity is a bloody nuisance and an evil curse that will see to it that you die from stress and alcohol abuse at a very early age, that you piss off all your friends, break appointments, show up late, and have this strange bohemian urge (you know that decadent laid-back pimp-style way of life). The truly creative people I know all live lousy lives, never have time to see you, don't take care of themselves properly, have weird tastes in women and behave badly. They don't wash and they eat disgusting stuff, they are mentally unstable and are absolutely brilliant. (k10k)
You could learn win32, that''s not impossible
(you can find me on IRC : #opengl on undernet)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement