OpenGL Transparent, Not Translucent

Started by
9 comments, last by Spanky 23 years, 10 months ago
quote:Original post by MK42

Nicodemus ... what do you mean by "that btw, microsoft could've implemented for OpenGL too" I don't think Microsoft developed OpenGL. I believe it was SGI. On their platforms (high-end workstations) this glDrawPixels()-problem also isn't such a big issue, because they have a UMA (unified memory architecture), where you don't distinguish between system and video memory.

I know that OpenGL was developed by SGI, but I mean that Microsoft could've implemented a way to use OpenGL with DirectDraw. Sometimes you want to write directly to the frame buffer, and there's no way to do that currently on Windows. Looks like some people have done this (using DD with OpenGL), but it's too "hack", and have performance hits.

quote:Original post by -BacksideSnap-

Ok, let me clarify here. First of all, I'm not trying to start a D3D/oGL battle, I've been down that route before. If I want to criticize a part of the api (and no decent raster graphics is a legitimate complaint) then it's my god given right to do so. If it pains you so much to read posts in a flame war, then don't do so. I find it humerous when people cry about arguments... just don't read the posts and get on with your life.

Yeah, I agree that you can criticize the API, but that doesn't give you the right to call people "lame" if they don't do things like you do.

quote:Original post by -BacksideSnap-

Good call about Microsoft too, Nicodemus. I don't know wtf is up with not implementing DD in with oGL as well as D3D. Couldn't be that hard for a multi-billion dollar corp.

Actually isn't hard. It's just that Microsoft doesn't want to help OpenGL, since they want D3D to get on top. So, they slowed down a lot OpenGL updates (I think they plan to release version 1.2 for windows at the end of the year, but I don't believe it), in favor of D3D... Micro$oft sucks big time!

Edited by - Nicodemus on June 20, 2000 11:57:57 PM
Nicodemus.----"When everything goes well, something will go wrong." - Murphy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement