• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pure Krome

[Newbie] Models (like NeHe's Porsche) How are they done / imported?

This topic is 6579 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello again folks. When i was looking at things like the Porsche demo, or the RUNNING 2 Demo, how were those models developed? If they were developed using an external program (which is what i assumed -> eg. Softimage or 3D Studio Max), then how are they imported into the game. Lastly, any tutorials about importing into a game? -PK-

Advertisement
Intresting question. Sorry but I don´t know either. In d3d you can make your models in ex. Lightwave and convert it to a x-file witch you can load in in the same way that you load a bitmap. Then you can add textures to it etc.

Gandalf the White

>> The models were converted using a program

Please excuse my blond ignorance, but what do u exactly mean by converted?

Are the models done *IN* that program, and then exported into one of the various export options? AND THEN some import code *reads* it in??

-PK-

Yes, hardcoding complex objects is quite difficult.
So usually, I make them with a modeller,then I save the objects as say a .3ds file and then I import it at runtime.
The .3ds is a well known format, so there are plenty
docs on how to reread it ( or rewrite if you are doing the
modeller ).

Hey DungeonMaster!

I like your name. It remaind me of SGI old rpg, "Dungeon Master". One of the first 3D game developed i think. Still my favorit (beside Baldurs Gate).

Where can find those docs you´r talking about?

Gandalf the White

hi

>>>> The models were converted using a program
>>Please excuse my blond ignorance, but what do u exactly mean by converted?

1-load your model with 3dexploration
2-save as "opengl cpp code" or file->batch conversion (you can convert it in opengl display list or a sample app or only data)
3-that''s it

lunasol

Well, just try http://www.wotsit.org, they have plenty of information about many different file types.

pi~

Edited by - The_[PI]_ehT on June 19, 2000 12:06:33 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!