[Newbie] OpenGL or Glut?

Started by
5 comments, last by Pure Krome 23 years, 10 months ago
Hello All. -- PLEASE DO NOT START A FLAME WAR -- Researching various tutes and code snippets, I found various people using either one or the other. Is there any reason why you would use EITEHR GLUT or OPENGL? Can they be used together? What are the differences? And why would people use one over the other? Thank you again folks =) -PK-
-PK-
Advertisement
you did not resarch enough

your question must be

opengl with or without glut...

glut are a set of function which makes opengl programming easier, but hides some programming aspects.

and i dont think glut is avaialbe on all platforms ??
Ries
What platforms are GLUT not available for? Part of the reason to use GLUT is to make your apps easy to port across platforms. GLUT is available for Linux, BeOS, MacOS, and Windows, and probably more.

Morgan
So this would mean it would be a wise move to program with GLUT in your 3D programs, so portability would be easier later on and the code, in general, also easier to program ?

-PK-
-PK-
Another thought I just had....

Why hasn''t NeHe chosen to use GLUT in his tutorials. I have only gone upto tute 8 or so, but so far there are no references to GLUT in the code.....

-PK-
-PK-
Because some people believe that glut sucks. I personaly have no problem with it since none of my games (yet) require a whole lot of optimizations. None the less, I use OpenGL under a Win32 skeleton.

JoeMont001@aol.com
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Usually people who develop only under Windows or only under MacOS don''t like GLUT because they don''t have as much control over what is going on and they can''t optimize it. Although I like to code specifically for MacOS or Windows when I have the time, I do still enjoy GLUT because a simple recompile on either platform will wield the same results with no alteration of the source (well, except for paths for files, but that''s just because of simple differences in the way the OS''s work). And, yes, it is much easier to use and learn for most people.

Morgan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement