Is Windows NT bad for makin' games?

Started by
2 comments, last by rockslave 23 years, 10 months ago
I got a WinNT on my computer and it hasn''t been that good. Many VGA functions, for instance, doesn''t work. But all the time someone says(I agree in some aspects): "NT is much better than 9x." Is it bad just for playing games(no DirectX) or shall I need to get a Windows 9x to work in Games? PS: ''Bout that VGA thing, I mean the prompt. PS2: Is it too much important too learn Windows programming, or do I need to start learning in DOS? Thanks, Arthur(rockslave)
import money.*;#include "cas.h"uses bucks;
Advertisement
The Windows NT core is more stable than 9x. However, if you''re using NT4 or earlier, it''s missing many things. Fewer device drivers, doesn''t understand FAT32 or USB.... not that these are terribly detrimental to NT users (I''ve used it for several years now), but it doesn''t work well for games.

Windows 2000 (which is essentially NT5 underneath, IIRC) is much more up-to-date and can handle many games. There are still some driver issues, although more vendors are beginning to support W2k. W2K will support DirectX (I use Dx7a on W2k and play Unreal Tourney regularly with no problems.) and I use a GeForce256 card as well.

As for DOS vs Win programming, I personally would choose neither and go with OpenGL. But if you need to choose one... nah, I ain''t gonna answer that.

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!
And by the prompt, you mean the NT console. It''s a DOS emulator, as NT''s kernel isn''t based upon DOS. As an emulator, it isn''t going to support 100% of everything the original did.

Yes, it''s a wonderful development platform. I use it at work, well known pros use it, most business use it.

And you should be learning Win32 programming, not DOS programming. "DOS is dead."
Creativity is a bloody nuisance and an evil curse that will see to it that you die from stress and alcohol abuse at a very early age, that you piss off all your friends, break appointments, show up late, and have this strange bohemian urge (you know that decadent laid-back pimp-style way of life). The truly creative people I know all live lousy lives, never have time to see you, don't take care of themselves properly, have weird tastes in women and behave badly. They don't wash and they eat disgusting stuff, they are mentally unstable and are absolutely brilliant. (k10k)
Thanks to all! I''m gonna look after Win32 tutorials now. Unfortunately, I cannot get WIN2000 until I get rich. Even my INTERNET is being lend by my school!!! THANX

Thanks, Arthur(rockslave)
import money.*;#include "cas.h"uses bucks;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement