Game Programming Starter Kit 3.0

Started by
4 comments, last by Tiso 23 years, 10 months ago
I''m just curious if anyone bought this package and knows if the DirectX stuff is the complete version or just a demo. I''m not entirely sure, I''ve never worked with DirectX so I have no idea. Any help would be appreciated. ............ Guardian Angel Interactive
Advertisement
Yeah I did it (I think I''ve could have used that money for another better book... it didn''t contain everything I needed).

The DirectX SDK is the official SDK from Microsoft, complete and free. The Visual C++ 6.0 given with it is the evaluation version and you cannot sell products with it. Everything is opened to use, but you just can''t compile.

The Genesis engine is complete as well.

Programming is:A.The art of debugging a blank sheet of paper (or an empty file).B.A pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.C.The most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes are not mandatory).
Now I know what I'm made of, and I'm afraid of it...
Thanks Poltras! Everything I needed to know!

I happened to love that book that came with it, if you mean Game Design: Secret of the Sages.

Then again, I haven''t read any other game designing books so I couldn''t say if it was one of the better ones.

Thanks again! By the way, I love your signature about programmers, I always thought not wearing clothes was manditory...

Guardian Angel Interactive
The Genesis engien included with that package is not complete. Go download the real latest version (1.1 final) from http://www.genesis3d.com. You will find it much more useful, as it is much more bug free.
Assassin, aka RedBeard. andyc.org
I have the starter kit and am not very impressed. The starter kit comes with the exact same software as "Tricks of the windows game programming gurus". The software is mostly free and available on the net. The starter kit also comes with a book which has relitivly nothing to do with game programming. It''s a design book and is basicaly a bunch of interviews with industry professionals.

My advice? Buy "Tricks of the windows game programming gurus" it''s got the same software and the book is better.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Of course, the Starter Kit is mainly for design, that''s why I didn''t like it. I''m a programmer... at least for the next years. I want to design my own games, but I''m realist... I have some good ideas, but nothing for designing, more for programming. I''m making my own rules

Programming is:A.The art of debugging a blank sheet of paper (or an empty file).B.A pastime similar to banging one's head against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.C.The most fun you can have with your clothes on (although clothes are not mandatory).
Now I know what I'm made of, and I'm afraid of it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement