Isometric Height Tiling

Started by
0 comments, last by Tigra7 20 years, 9 months ago
Maybe this belongs in the isometric forum, but I need some opengl advice for doing so. I have a basic isometric map loader, and renderer, only I need to know something. I see games like starcraft, and there are two levels of ground. One is based on the ground where there is dirt and grass, the other is a raised wall. I saw the isometric programming tutorials on the site, but they seem to take a 3d approach to it. I was wondering if I could achieve the effect of the raised walls, by using texturing only, that looks like 3d, but is really 2d. Then, if I wanted it impassable, just set a bool variable to false, and check for collision on the false state of that variable. Particularly, I am wanting to know how they did it in Starcraft, because it appears to be done by ''smart'' texturing. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Ofcourse it is, since it''s isometric you''re only viewing it from one point.

If a player is walking behind something that has height, simply alpha blit.

In essence you should use several layers, a ground and a ''wall'' layer for instance(That way if a user walks behind an object you can also see the floor he''s walking on)
---Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift and that's why it's called the present.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement