• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC_Tsunami

OpenGL Fonts in OpenGL/SDL

This topic is 5498 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m currently in the early stages of writing a cross platform framework that I plan to use in all sorts of graphical applications in the future. Right now, I would like to add font support to it; specifically, I need it to be able to load and display TrueType fonts. The framework currently uses OpenGL on top of SDL so WGL, GLX, and AGL functions are out of the question. I read Doug Manley''s recent article "SDL & Fonts" but it wasn''t much help to me as it didn''t deal with OpenGL (unless anyone knows how I can apply the SDL_ttf library to OpenGL). Next, I looked into the OpenGL font technology survey (http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/features/fontsurvey/) after a hint from some posts on this forum that came up in the search. It looks like FTGL might be what I''m looking for, but before diving into that, I have a few questions for anyone who has used it before. First, when I tried to compile the source for FTGL, it said it needed GLUT to be installed when I ran the configuration script. Is GLUT only necessary for the demo application(s) or would I need to distribute the dynamic library with any program that uses my framework? Second, FTGL obviously uses the FreeType 2 library. Parts of the FreeType project are covered under the GPL and other parts are under the FreeType license, derived from the BSD license. How would using FTGL affect my software licenses? It is common knowledge that software that is dynamically linked to GPL libraries is still considered a derivative work and must be free. If I used FTGL and FreeType 2, would my software have to be free? I notice that Warcraft III lists FreeType 2 in its credits and it obviously is not free. If anyone knows of a better alternative to FTGL that I can use on any platform, please let me know about it. I have not completely decided on FTGL or FreeType 2 and would like to hear any suggestions. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by DC_Tsunami
Parts of the FreeType project are covered under the GPL and other parts are under the FreeType license, derived from the BSD license. ... I notice that Warcraft III lists FreeType 2 in its credits and it obviously is not free.

from FreeType 2''s license.txt:

quote:

... In order to make this project usable to a vast majority of developers, we distribute it under two mutually exclusive licenses.

This means that you must choose one license of the two described below, then obey all its terms and conditions when using FreeType 2 in any of your projects or products.

- The FreeType License, found in the file "FTL.TXT", which is an BSD-style open-source license with an advertising clause that forces you to explicitely cite the FreeType project in your product''s documentation. All details are in the license file.

- The GNU General Public License, found in "GPL.TXT", which is the traditionnal and "viral" GPL license that forces you to redistribute the _complete_ sources of all your products that use FreeType 2.

Well, I guess that answers my second question. I wasn''t sure because it never actually said whether I had to release my source in the FTL.txt. Now that I know I don''t I''ll probably start learning FTGL now. Does anyone know about GLUT though?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!