any professional game programmers

Started by
7 comments, last by yumi_cheeseman 20 years, 9 months ago
if there are any pro gameprgrammers/designers can you email me at yumi_cheeseman@hotmail.com because i want to ask a pro some q''s eg what is it like as a pro game programmer and what should i do in terms of uni and stuff
____________________________________________________________and forth spew many rivers of joy, of which fell upon the world and swept away the nations. and then as he spoke everyone bowed down in prayer to the almighty god, jesus our saviour.cya yumi_cheeseman
Advertisement
Why not discuss it here where everyone can read it? Or is it super secret?
- Do computer science at uni...when it comes to choosing your modules, choose all the graphics, AI and C++ ones. Some universities have started only teaching Java - so make sure the uni you go to teaches C++

- Make some small demos for your CV. Don''t try and write a whole game...small apps demostrating a specific feature is way better than some shoddy game.
THANKS HEAPS

i knew to do com science and graphic design. i thought like to do psychiatry for ai but i wasn''t sure

if you cant do it your not worthy
____________________________________________________________and forth spew many rivers of joy, of which fell upon the world and swept away the nations. and then as he spoke everyone bowed down in prayer to the almighty god, jesus our saviour.cya yumi_cheeseman
are there any aussie game programmers that live in NSW here that could tell me because i wanna know if that is what you did?
well, I did engineering at uni + I''m so glad I did that rather than computer science.

I got a games programming job straight out of uni and I''d consider myself far more experienced + able at creating good and solid systems than some of the computer science graduates we have who seem to do a lot more hacking and less design thought.

/this is not a flame against comp sci students... I just think engineering is a better foundation for game code engineering
quote:Original post by Poontardis
well, I did engineering at uni + I''m so glad I did that rather than computer science.

I got a games programming job straight out of uni and I''d consider myself far more experienced + able at creating good and solid systems than some of the computer science graduates we have who seem to do a lot more hacking and less design thought.

/this is not a flame against comp sci students... I just think engineering is a better foundation for game code engineering

Anyone else notice that CS these days is leaning a lot more towards understanding mathematical perspectives on networking and the nuances of certain languages than clear, innovative code?
In regards to what to study: Don''t just assume that since CS at one school is better/worse than some Engineering means that it is the same for all other schools. What I would do is simply look at the classes you will take if you decide to go either way.

Example, my school. I''m CS, and it''s far more than just hacking around. In almost all of my programming classes, the students are challenged to come up with creative ways to solve problems, and design various systems. On the other hand, Computer Engineering is much more focused on the inner workings of a computer (which includes programming, of course), but like the type of person that would go get a job at Intel.

Anyway, point being, places are different, so just check out what you''re going to learn, not necessarily what name they give it.
-----------------------Adam ParcherYay I have my own web page.
CS vs CE vs SE depends far too much on the school and what their programs teach/offer. Any debate on the subject is muddied by this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement