Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

joeyzt

Is Visual C++ like visual basic + C++?

Take a look at Borland C++ Builder.
EDIT: Ooops, misinterpreted what you were asking. Visual C++ is just C++ but with a "visual" dialogue editor thingy (which sucks). Borland C++ Builder is C++ but with a VB-like interface (i.e., forms onto which stuff can be placed, a window to change properties like the form caption, etc.). Both use C++.

[edited by - Alimonster on July 2, 2003 7:55:47 AM]

Originally from Sark
No. "Visual C++" is just the name of Microsoft''s C++ compiler and IDE.

Yeah Visual C++ is microsoft C++ version. Visual basic is way too different from Visual C++...

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by joeyzt
Hi,

Im thinking about getting visual c++, Is like like a combination of visual basic plus using say devc++ ??

About the only thing that VC++ has incommon with VB is the form design tool, and even that works a bit differantly.

Visual Basic is one language, BASIC with a visual interface, and Visual C++ is another language, C++, with a visual interface. But in their roots, C++ and BASIC are *very* different. C++ has more of the logic background. But Visual C++ also kinda sucks because there''s not really a form designer as good as Visual Basic does. If you want the power of Visual Basic and Visual C++, then get C#. Yeah C# is almost the mixture...

BattleGuard

Image by FlamingText.com

quote:
Original post by BattleGuard
If you want the power of Visual Basic and Visual C++, then get C#. Yeah C# is almost the mixture...
C# has nothing to do with VB.

quote:
Original post by pouya
quote:
If you want the power of Visual Basic and Visual C++, then get C#. Yeah C# is almost the mixture...
C# has nothing to do with VB.

Yes it does. It has the form designer, the editor is updated to realize mistakes before compilation, and easier manipulation in the IDE and easier windows programming. You just double click on a button on the form designer and the click event for the button comes up, there you can write code. Everything that you can do in VB.net...

BL: YES C# has a lot to do with VB.NET

Ever try to think about things than just say it without researching? Try it...

BattleGuard

Image by FlamingText.com

quote:
Yes it does. It has the form designer, the editor is updated to realize mistakes before compilation, and easier manipulation in the IDE and easier windows programming. You just double click on a button on the form designer and the click event for the button comes up, there you can write code. Everything that you can do in VB.net...

BL: YES C# has a lot to do with VB.NET

Chill out n00b, I''ve read your other posts in this forum, you seem to have no clue what you talk about.

Everything that has a form designer is not Visual Basic. You emphasices the .NET part yourself, saying that it''s not he VB, but the .NET that you''re talking about. Thanks for the support

quote:

BattleGuard

As a matter of fact, I''m actually working at a company designing enterprise applications under .NET, and I used C# for a good amount of things I do here.

Good luck finishing your pong clone in Visual Basic.

quote:
Visual Basic is one language, BASIC with a visual interface

If that were true we''d still use mode 13h and have crappy "line numbers". Although I guess Visual Basic 1.0 for dos was a bit like that, but surely that''s not what C# is like

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

If you see the image I am online

Check out PGNet.tk

I love the 13h screen mode. Basic is a lot of fun! I am learning to program microcontrollers with the BASIC stamp... although I''d rather use C...

quote:
If you want the power of Visual Basic and Visual C++, then get C#.
BattleGuard

Image by FlamingText.com

Nevermind C#, if you want the power of C++ and the ease of use of VB then get Borland C++ Builder. I can make anything in builder just as fast or faster than VB, as can most other people. I use this to make GUI apps and for all of my DirectX coding.

You can download a trial version of C++ Builder 6 Enterprise here: http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

Builder has a bit of a learning curve to the components but once you pick it up it is great. They also have a great help file that covers nearly all aspects of it.

As far as I am aware you cannot get a free copy through "legal means". The standard version sells for $99. Currently I use C++ Builder 5 Professional and I love it. I picked it up about 2 years ago through academic pricing and I think I paid like $99, about $400 shy of the list price.

quote:

You might want to try it too. You post incorrect information quite a bit and people usually have to correct you.

[edited by - Malodorous Skunk on July 3, 2003 2:11:10 PM]

One other thing different between VB and C++

You don''t do the kind of memory management in VB that you would in C++, nor the optimization so much. As stated before, VB is for RAD (Rapid Application Development) and most times it is used because you simply don''t have time to worry about these other kinds of things. You let the compiler worry about garbage collection and allocation of memory, etc.

While that kindof drives me crazy on a low level, it is useful for some things. I wouldn''t reccomend it for game programming simply because of the lack of control over smaller details (but it might be good to build game programming tools in real quick).

quote:
Visual Basic is one language, BASIC with a visual interface, and Visual C++ is another language, C++, with a visual interface.

Sorry that is not accurate, Visual Basic is both a language and its compiler, but Visual C++ is NOT another language, its is only MS''s compiler for C++.