Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ketchaval

ideas from Animal Forest

Anyone heard of Nintendo''s Animal Forest? It has some interesting sounding ideas, although the game itself sounds kinda dull.. http://ign64.ign.com/articles/354/354488p1.html quote from the review: At the very heart of the game is a sense that adventure can be found in your very own backyard. You don''t need to travel to far-away lands and rescue a princess. The game definitely seeks to teach players that doing everyday things can be fun and interesting, too. And nature and communication are at the center of it all. You make friends with the animals in your village, help them run chores, send them letters, collect fish, bugs, and fruit and sell them for money, pay off and upgrade your house, fill it with furniture, take part in a monthly raffle, celebrate Japanese holidays, buy clothes, cut down and plant trees, and so on. --------------- This is one of the things that I''ve thought about recently, do games have to send their characters on journeys, can''t they make the surrounding area interesting without the need for to go kill dragons? Quote from IGN A family member who plays the game when you''re not home enriches the gameplay experience as much as a friend who owns another copy of Animal Forest. If you haven''t figured it out yet, Animal Forest offers successive multiplayer gameplay. Up to four players can share one cartridge and live in the same town. When player #1 is playing, he or she can check out the other players'' houses, send them letters or gifts, or leave them messages on a bulletin board. This creates an interesting dynamic that makes it feel like you''re living in a village with real people. It''s really a perfect game for families as the parents can hide treasures and leave tips for their kids on how to find them. Siblings on the other hand will enjoy the rivalry of what items they have collected and how they can tease their brother or sister by setting traps and the like. But that''s not all. You can also link up with players who are enjoying the game on their own cartridge. --------------------- Surely, this kind of multiplayer interaction has a lot of potential...

The ideas do sound cool, something new for a change. Not a FPS, dragon slayer, etc. Real life interaction is always a cool idea. I''ve always heard, "You have to make your audience feel like they''re a part of the game. If they don''t feel that way, then the game will not be successful." I think this these ideas would do that easily.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

I have this game on gamecube, it came out in america about a year ago. They changed the name to Animal Crossing. The time element is extremely innovative, as people in the game wish you happy birthday, and hoidays line up with real world holidays. It does have some good ideas, and if you play it with 3 of your friends it can be a blast for a little while. I especially like designing clothes and then seeing the other inhabitants wearing my design after a while. I made a design to put on a sign that had a crossed out axe on it, it was to put up by my trees I planted - my friends kept cutting them down Then, a few days later, I saw an animal wearing a "no-chopping" shirt, it was great.

But I didn''t stick around much longer than a few months, and those last two months it was just picking up the game for an hour or two a week. These kind of games tend to get dull pretty fast.

Saluk, it is good to find someone who has played it and can help explain its strengths / weaknesses (if you like).

So, what is the main reason that it became dull for you? Was it that (I guess) the 'gameplay' is undemanding and doesn't provide much of a challenge (ie. do jobs consist of walking backwards and forwards with goods or solving minor puzzles?). Was it that there isn't enough stuff to do?
Or maybe, that the incentives to keep playing it (ie. buying items etc.) weren't strong enough?

Would the ability to set up various businesses be a good addition ie. adding an Elite-style goods trading element?

(Note. I am not suggesting that all games should have hardcore gameplay, since non-gamers may well like something quite simple. Gameplay depends on audience.)

[edited by - Ketchaval on July 2, 2003 6:36:58 PM]

Well all I can say is that its like a kiddier version of the sims, except more interactive and focused more on your character than like in the sims where you get to play with other characters. Animal Crossing is like a First Person sense except in 3rd person.