• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MENTAL

OpenGL OpenGL vs Monitor Refresh Rates

This topic is 5559 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

As I type this I''m happily in 1024x764x32, running at 85hz. When run my opengl apps in fullscreen, i''m still in 1024x764x32, but i''m running at 60hz. My own demos, quake 3, someone else''s demos, everything. anyone care to explain?

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
You must be using Windows XP? download SP1 and your problem is gone for good

nope, 2000. it''s always done it (yes, i have the latest drivers).

it''s a geforce ti 4200 if it helps...

its bcuz the damn f***ing detonator drivers use a default refreshrate of 60hz (in newer versions u can set them 4 directx but not 4 opengl)... but u can use tools like powerstrip (not free) to set refreshrates 4 each resolution independent if u use opengl or directx...

there was also a tool called hzres or similar, but u should NOT use it if u dont know what ur doing (otherwise ur monitor will visit a service center :D)

T2k

hey, i found i really good program called ReForce which sets all default refresh rates to the highest ones the monitor can handle and it works fine.

damn, i thought that problem only existed on windows xp.

*sniff* there goes my last reason by being crap at quake 3 :''(

what are you yapping about?

When you change the displaysettings you can set the freq as well, and if you enumrate the displaymodes and the user is smart enough to NOT uncheck the ''hide modes that the monitor cannot display'' then you only get valid freq modes..

and if you like, you can let the user choose the mode from the list of modes you get when you enumrate..

Mazy

under windows 2000 the refresh rate will always go to 60hz when switching to fullscreen OpenGL or DirectX. This was because the "Always use best option" was removed from the frequency settings, meaning that EVERY directx or ogl app going into fullscreen was forced to use 60hz.

if you read carefully i did say that this was when i was running fullscreen opengl apps...

besides, since when could you enumerate anything with opengl?

quote:
Original post by MENTAL
besides, since when could you enumerate anything with opengl?

You don''t enumerate with OpenGL. You use the Win32 API call EnumDisplaySettings(). Once you''ve obtained the settings you want, you pass them to ChangeDisplaySettings(). One of the members of the DEVMODE structure is dmDisplayFrequency...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!