Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SomePerson

Need For Speedy Graphics...

This is not really graphics based but will be... I need to know is it faster to use tons of if()..., else if() statement or switches? I am making a special visual program based on a music beat. So it needs all the speed i can get. also is it faster to render with DX or OGL? and can u give a routine to use... Then final of all can u make this vertex thing smaller... (faster) struct Vertex3 { float x, y, z; // 3D Coords }; Vertex3 g_Vertex[numVertex]; // numVertex is loaded from a file is that the best? or can u think of a better way? thanks to all who help...

quote:
Original post by SomePerson
This is not really graphics based but will be... I need to know is it faster to use tons of if()..., else if() statement or switches?

Depends. Chances are, that those won''t even be close to a bottleneck in your code. That''s why you should profile, before thinking of optimizing.

quote:

also is it faster to render with DX or OGL?

Pretty much the same. On very small objects, with few faces (<300), OpenGL tends to be faster. It has less setup overhead when changing and drawing vertex arrays. On larger objects, the differences fade away.

quote:

Then final of all can u make this vertex thing smaller... (faster)

struct Vertex3
{
float x, y, z; // 3D Coords
};

Vertex3 g_Vertex[numVertex]; // numVertex is loaded from a file

is that the best? or can u think of a better way?

Again, depends. It''s pretty much the standard way to represent a vertex. You can range compress it into shorts, and decompress it in a vertex shader. But that''s probably a bit overkill for a beginner.

Conclusion: you''re thinking too much about performance Are you planning to write a Doom3-like 3D engine with millions of faces and tons of special effects ? If the answer is yes, then by all means optimize wherever you can (such things as range compressed vertices become very important). If the answer is no, then don''t worry about those things just yet - they will have such a minimal impact, you won''t even notice it. If you still do, profile your code, and rewrite/optimize the critical parts.

I''ve always taken the approach of finishing things before I optimize them. If you''re adding lighting, for instance, to your engine, add it in, then go back and see where you can make it faster. I think others would agree...

Well, I know it is still too early for optimizing for my program ,but i was just wondering.

Cause it will need all the optimizing it can get.
Well i plan on getting it to read music cds, and playlist off the HardDisk. While working in the background... On top of that
one can have visualations move to the beat of music on the desktop, a window, or fullscreen. So in end it is ment to be cool but also alow the user to do other thing also...!!!

quote:
Well, I know it is still too early for optimizing for my program ,but i was just wondering.

Cause it will need all the optimizing it can get.

What you listed above is commonly referred to as ''micro-optimization''. Or in other words: code optimization - rescheduling of code, removing ''if'' statements, perhaps even going ASM. This type of optimization can be important for extremely performance critical applications. But generally, your compiler will do an excellent job optimizing all that for you. You typically don''t have to worry about it.

The other thing is ''macro-optimization''. That one is really important, and should be considered from the beginning on: it affects your choice of algorithms, data structures, etc.

You''ll quickly notice, that micro-optimization typically gives very little gain: around 5% to 10% maximum. If your background application doesn''t use more than eg. 10% of the CPU/GPU anyway, then that will be a performance increase of 0.5% ! Hardly worth the effort. Macro-optimization, on the other hand, will greatly influence your performance: the scale can be anywhere between 0 and infinity. So, choosing your algorithms wisely (eg. using vertex arrays instead of IM in OpenGL) is going to give you huge performance boosts. Micro-optimization won''t, and should always be considered as a very last resort.

quote:

By Michael Abrash
Optimalisation is the root of all evil

And he''s right. Use something you''re comfortable with and don''t waste time getting a few cycles extra speed.

-------
ni·hil·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-lzm, n-)
n.
Philosophy.
An extreme form of skepticism that denies all existence.
A doctrine holding that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated.
The ultimate truth.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Countach
quote:

By Michael Abrash
Optimalisation is the root of all evil

And he''s right. Use something you''re comfortable with and don''t waste time getting a few cycles extra speed.

Wrong quote, completely wrong person. See http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization

Regarding the original question, if your compiler is worth the hard drive space it chews up, you won't notice a difference between an if() else() block and a switch() block.

[edit] Nor is there any memory or speed difference between a struct and an array for storing a 3D point.

[edited by - ApochPiQ on July 3, 2003 11:33:14 AM]

Well i was just wondering if it did make a difference... So what you guys are saying is don''t worry about the app cycles but worry about what formulas and stuff i use to render OGL?

And again i am not optimizing yet i am still getting ideas on what to opt. so when i finish the first run through of my program.

quote:
Well i was just wondering if it did make a difference...

Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. It depends on your compiler, on code context, the length of the case or if/else cascade is, the nature of the conditional expression, etc. Things like this can be optimized, but only if you know exactly what you are doing.

Don''t take that as an offense, but the fact that you asked that question, shows that you are not ready to think about such otimization yet. Don''t worry about it right now, get some experience first. And eventually, you''ll instinctively see where an if() is more appropriate than a switch(), and vice versa. Both from a semantical, as well as from a performance POV. Same thing is valid for all C/C++ specific optimizations (avoiding unnecessary copy-ctors , return optimizations, avoiding temporaries, etc). It''s all about experience, and about how well you know the subtilities of the language.

quote:

So what you guys are saying is don''t worry about the app cycles but worry about what formulas and stuff i use to render OGL?

Exactly. That should be your primary concern right now.

Guest Anonymous Poster
you''ll also find that if you worry about optimizing too soon you don''t notice the cases where the code block you''re playing with doesnt even need to be called...in other words the efficiency of your algorithm as a whole is worth spending more time on than than trying to squeeze that extra 2% out of exisiting code

james

i know i am new at this, and maybe a little incompetent, but i noticed, that using loops, for things, are way faster, especially for things like drawing things over and over again(use a display list as well, for extra optimization)

just my experience