Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Malikive

Mouse Input Question

Heya Everyone, I''m trying to write a level editor for my 2D game with DirectDraw and I''m using DirectInput for mouse input, but I can''t seem to find a way to relate the relative mouse coordinates with the client area of my windowed application. I''m tryin to simulate Microsoft Paint in a way, where there are a few icons on the left side to choose from that you can select and then plot on the right side in a grid system to build the level. My problem is that I can''t relate the mouse coordinates. Are my methods of doing this program correct or should I stick with Windows programming rather than DirectX for input? Any help would be appreciated and if anything is unclear or you have any questiosn, feel free to ask. Thanks! -Josh-

Kinda sad when I frustrate myself all day and then find a possible solution 20 mins after I post on here..hehe

I think what I''m going to do is use my WinProc function and use the WM_LBUTTONDOWN and WM_LBUTTONMOVE to solve my problem. If this seems reasonable, an approval would be awesome, if any other suggestions are out there, lemme know!

-Josh-

The WM_ mouse messages would be the easiest for your purpose. You can use DirectInput if you handle all mouse functionalities yourself, including moving and rendering the cursor.