60 FPS max ?

Started by
17 comments, last by Sphax 20 years, 9 months ago
quote:Original post by TheLastZerg
If you''re using WinXP, the Nvidia cards experience a bug where they''re limited to 60Hz. You can circumvent this by using a utility such as NVrefresh or something similar. This allows you to set your Nvidia card to any mode that is allowed by your monitor.

Hope it helps.

It''s no bug sucka. And I don''t think it''s just nvidia cards either.

Anyways, I use NVRefresh and it fixed my refresh rate in both D3D and OGL, so I must recommend it to the OP.

Advertisement
second thread that i dont understand.. what do you all mean with openglfullscreen? opengl doesnt have a real fuyllscreenmode, you just make a bordelesswindow maximized, and if you want to change resolution you does that with win32 calls, and in that call you set the frequency as one of the parameters.. you dont need a tool to write 100 in that option.
of all the game programming job postings on places like monster.com, dice.com, etc, the framerate they ask you to be able to maintain is 60 FPS. this isn''t helping you solve your problem, but I''m just saying 60 FPS is fine.
Anonymous : You''re right, 60FPS is fine, but i think the maximum FPS you can reach is a good "indicator" (don''t even know if this word is english, i just translated it from french ) of your app''s performances, no ?

MazyNoc : You''re probably right too. I found something interesting with glut, the function glutGameModeString and glutEnterGameMode wich allows you to choose the resolution and the refresh rate of your screen. At home, with my Windows XP pro and GeForce 3 card, even if you choose 100 Hz and the call to those functions is successfull, i STILL have a 60 max FPS .
At work, under W2000 with an ATI card, i can really set the refresh rate to 100 Hz and so a 100 FPS ...
I don''t know if it''s a glut problem (probably not) , a windows problem or a video card one. The best way to eliminate glut is to make my window directly with win32 calls, i''ll see the difference ...

PS : the problem isn''t my home screen, it can perfectly reach 100Hz

Sphax
It is a problem with windows 2000 and XP, limited by default to 60Hz.

In windows you can change the resolution, bpp and refresh rate with the function ChangeDisplaySettings. I don''t think this can be used in GLut.
Ok, here we go.

If you use vertical sync then it syncs!
Hard?
Let say that the monitor is 60Hz then the output fps you can get is 60, 30, 15, 7.5, 3.75 and so on
Turning off vsync gives you more fps but is it good?
Well, I would aim for 60 fps and use the rest of the time for better lighting, higher resolution and so on.
But the easy way out is always to turn off vsync.
This done by setting the updating delta to 0.
bullshits,the problem lies in GLUT not in anything else.With a simple teapot(from GLUT) drawn my win app drops down around 550 FPS.why don''t you simply write a windows or linux app.It''s really easy...

"You losers better learn...NOONE CONTROLS OUR GOD DAMN LIFE!!!" - MANOWAR
That''s exactly what i''m going to do . Even if perf''s don''t increase, i prefer avoiding the use of such libs (glut or SDL), so every bug will be my own bug . But they are really great when you begin to learn Ogl.
Sphax
I dont think that is a vsync problem this if you get 30 fps when you doing simple things...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement