I started programming yesterday, can anyone help me make a MMORPG bigger than before?

Started by
5 comments, last by D_JildQuantum 20 years, 9 months ago
HAHA! got ya there I have been reading all these people like *shall Not Mention Names* who wants to make a Life Simulation with unbelivable AI *hint hint* and they havnt ever made a game before! its rediculus! anyway, im posting because i am taking proper steps, Making a Breakout Clone. I have just finished the Design Document, and i wanted to know what everyone thought: Ten Twist FireFly Reason For Name: TTF gets its name from the ten unusual twists that seperates it from the original Game. It Gets the FireFly Element from my greatest Mentor in programming, Greg "Firefly" Ellwood, who has awnsered most of my Programming Questions. Purpose for Game: To Develop my Game Development skills, and to bring forth a new and Original Idea into the world. Story: An Evil Person steals some Nuclear/Dangerous Weapons, and seals himself in a Launching site with Practicly Invincible Bricks. There is only one weakness, the touch of a firefly, due to its slightly radioactive chemicals which cause it to light up. He knew this, and sealed all but 3 Fireflys inside certain bricks of his fortress. (why do badguys always give the goodguy a way to win? why not just capture them all?:-P) We have developed a machine that can control the 3 Fireflys, but he has sent his minions and sabatoged it. It is only partialy functional, and can only bounce them, and keep them moving in the direction they were goin, unless they bounce off a wall, brick, or your paddle. Using this technology, you must infiltrate his fortress, and get past his deadly traps, to testroy his launching equipment. Twists: Twist1: Power Ups, AND Power Downs Twist2: Multiple Paddle Missions Twist3: Mazes Twist4: Helpful and Demonic Creatures Twist5: PADDLE CHESS!!! Twist6: Ping Pong Paddle, race to destroythe bricks, as the other guy launches more bricks onto the field! Twist7: Magnetic Bricks Twist8: Repelling U Bricks Twist9: Construction Firefly Twist10:Growing Firefly! What do you think? Its my first game, and i wanted it to not be just a bland copy. This will take a little longer, but it will be cool :-D quantum p.s. btw, i havnt been programming for 1 dya... i have been programming for about 2 years:-P Quantum
Quantum
Advertisement
One question...do you have a full on design paper, or merely a concept paper?
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
im not sure what you mean by FUll on,or concept. This is just part of it, im just trying to see what people think if thats what you mean
Quantum
I think it has potential.

Your next step should be a real design document. Flesh out numbers and ideas for all your twists; give the bad guy a nifty name; hammer out concrete rules and principles that the game will follow. From there, analyze what code you need to accomplish each area of the game, and you will find that everything falls together quickly in terms of programming.

Good luck.. I''m interested to see what you create.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Sweet! I''ve always been a big fan of breakout games. I can''t stress enough how important the design document is. It will be your guiding light that will keep you on target to completion. It''s something my own game has lacked and our game hasn''t been going anywhere as a[n in]direct result. Best of luck!
-Cam
Thank you for your help, ill start on the full blown Design Document right now. And i do hope it will fall together easily. I tried to make a simpler Breakout clone earlier, but i came across an ANNOYING problem! so i stated over, and this time im making it much cleanrer, by using classes:-P If anyone has any ideas on the game design, just email me at D_Jild@hotmail.com. Oh, and i got a website, so you can check up on the progress! [link]www.freewebs.com/QuantumEntertainment[/link]

Quantum

[Edit] Sorry, wrong url. Here is the right one: http://www.freewebs.com/quantumentertainment/index.htm

[edited by - D_JildQuantum on July 3, 2003 1:09:12 PM]
Quantum
I was fortunate enough to talk to Peter Molyneux about the ''Design Document'' and it seems to be one crazy piece of work! I''ve done a few before but never in enough detail that a team could take it away and do exactly what I want (well excluding some really old course work from school)

A function paradigm can be quite handy where you detail some of the functions you need and how they''ll work, flow diagrams are handy here too as it''s a nice way of figuring out how things work.

Meto

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement