cg bump mapping...

Started by
12 comments, last by ploiu 20 years, 9 months ago
Doesnt all newer bumpmap demos use normalmaps ( those blue things , Only some old emboss bump can use heightmaps ( grey ) diretly. But the application can convert it on load..
Advertisement
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~univ1234/tutorials/simplebump/simplebump.htm

Doesn''t use Cg though...
CG is just one of many ways of configuring the hardware. Whether that''s the best way to configure hardware to do bump maps is up to your preference.

When it comes to how the hardware should be configured to do bumps, there are three theories:

1) use dsdt textures, which perturb a normal in tangent space
2) use normal maps, in object space or tangent space
3) use height fields, sample three times, and calculate normal

Number 3 is only practical on DX9 level hardware, but has some nice properties; for example, you can add heighfields together.
Personally I like to write programs for the future. So I use all the most intensive top of the line stuff. Unfortunitly, most people can afford the necessary equipment, so they never can see the amazing creative world fragment (mainly) and vertex shaders open up. What a shame, there should be a law.

Anyways, that means I use shaders as much as I can, I toss the other ways because they are more passes involved and they are less flexible. Lets move into the future I say. Also, I only use cg, because that the best presently available language for shaders in OGL.
[s] [/s]
I can see the fnords.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement