cg bump mapping...

Started by
12 comments, last by ploiu 20 years, 9 months ago
Hi, Where can I find a tutorial on how to do bump mapping with normal maps with cg using opengl? Thanks
Advertisement
nVidia has several included with their toolkit and many other papers and demos on the subject on the site.
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
thanks...

now I''ll make a pretty direct question: is cg the best way to bump map nowadays?
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1903.asp
i can''t find the answer there.... is it me?
CG, glslang, vertexprograms, fragmentprograms, env combiners, reg combiners...

everything here is about choise, i have several different ways to do bumpmaps, and i use different methods depending on the number of textures on the surface, the accuracy i need and what card i need it to work on.

most of the time i use vertexprograms + envcombiners and dot3 ( in the envcombine), its simple and works on several cards.. i also have versions that preforms real normalixation per pixel, and then i use fragment programs.. I dont like CG becourse the way it was meant to run ( according to me) that is, compile at runtime requires atleast an extra external dll (i cant use their .lib in delphi) and precompile to a vertexprogram doesnt give me anything for such simple shaders im writing at the moment. when glslang comes i think i will be using it as much as possible.

Still, CG is pretty nice, so if you like the syntax and dont want to hazzle with ASM, then use it..
I know that people uses CG with delphi, I''ve seen such program myself.

Yes, its possible to do that, its just that for runtime compilation you need an external dll ( and even exe i early versions), but in vc++ you can use a static linked .lib which is much nicer and cleaner, but delphi cannot handle the COFF format that the .lib is in.
thanks...

just another thing: does anyone have any idea of when I, a nvidia geforce user, will be able to work with glslang?

by the way... does anyone know any bump mapping demo using cg with opengl, thats uses those blueish normal maps, not height maps...?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement