• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markhsch

Any interest?

This topic is 5648 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m just testing the waters to see if I should pursue this little research project I started. Basically I was able to skin an OpenGL application. Skinning in the sense of window skinning, not model skinning. Basically, I was able to make a spinning OpenGL cube on the desktop without the perfunctory black background for the window. All you see is a spinning cube without a window. The performance isn''t the best and there is an issue with refresh which is why I ask if I should still pursue it and finish it up. The final bits would more than likely be in article form. Let me know if this is a) interesting and something I should finish, b) uninteresting or c) a "been there done that". -Mark P.S. Is perfunctory even a word? It sounded good. :-)

Advertisement
interesting, if you can get performance similar to non-transparent windowed OpenGL, and other applications are still fully responsive.

And, yes, ''perfunctory'' is a word. But I don''t think it means what you think it means.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

quote:
Original post by Sneftel
interesting, if you can get performance similar to non-transparent windowed OpenGL, and other applications are still fully responsive.

And, yes, 'perfunctory' is a word. But I don't think it means what you think it means.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

Not sure about the performance. Working with window regions can get slow. I think I might pursue it to see if I can create some sort of 3D UI engine for applications. Here's a screenshot: http://www.schmidt6.com/stuff/skingl.jpg
I was wrong it's not a cube. One thing you obviously can't see is the fact that the pyramid is spinning.

-Mark

[edited by - markhsch on July 2, 2003 3:03:06 PM]

I think that's pretty slick actually... could have some interesting applications (the first thing in my evil little mind was a 3D version of the Evil Paperclip From Hell :D )

I too have done dynamic animated windows with skinning, although mine are mostly sliding drawers and such. The performance isn't too bad, but with complicated windows it can be a terribly nasty pain. One idea I had for my engine (but never got around to) was finding some way to split the image into as few rectangles as I could, since adding rectangles to a region seems to be by far the slowest part of the job. I don't know how easy it would be to split the image up, but I would imagine you could gain a lot of performance by doing it. I just wish the GDI had a bitmap-to-region function...

Oh yes:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=perfunctory

[edited by - ApochPiQ on July 2, 2003 9:11:47 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!