Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amish1234

D3D lightmapping

I want to render triangles that have a color and lightmap. When I try this the triangle turns out black. Actually, 2 vertices are black and one is red. The red gets brighter when I change
 D3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_MODULATE);  
to
D3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_MODULATE2X);  
and even brighter when I use MODULATE4X. The color I set for each vertex is green. Here's my code:
//defining the FVF:

#define D3DFVF_TRANSFORMEDLIGHTMAPVERTEX (D3DFVF_XYZRHW | D3DFVF_TEX1 | D3DFVF_DIFFUSE)

//my struct:

struct TransformedLightMapVertex
{
	FLOAT x, y, z, rhw, tu, tv;
	DWORD color;
};

//rendering code:

D3DDevice->SetFVF(D3DFVF_TRANSFORMEDLIGHTMAPVERTEX);
D3DDevice->SetTexture(0, lightmap);
D3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, 0);
D3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_DIFFUSE);
D3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_TEXTURE);
D3DDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_MODULATE); //when I change this to modulate2x or modulate4x the red gets brighter

D3DDevice->DrawPrimitiveUP(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 1, &LightMapVertices[0], sizeof(TransformedLightMapVertex));
I'm guessing I'm just not using the correct flags in my calls to SetTextureStageState. The texture I'm using for my lightmap is a plain white bitmap. Proceeding on a brutal rampage is the obvious choice. [edited by - amish1234 on July 2, 2003 6:33:42 PM]

For FVF vertices, diffuse color comes after texture coordinates (check "Vertex Formats" in the SDK docs, in Programming Guide->Getting Started with Direct3D)

So, change your struct to:
struct TransformedLightMapVertex
{
FLOAT x, y, z, rhw;
DWORD color;
FLOAT tu, tv;
};

Also, make sure you set the operations for stage 1 to DISABLE for both color and alpha, after you fix your struct.

Peace,
Muhammad Haggag

quote:
Original post by Coder
Also, make sure you set the operations for stage 1 to DISABLE for both color and alpha, after you fix your struct.

Don't you mean stage 0? Since I am only using 1 texture, isn't the texture on stage 0? Or is my color on stage 0 and my texture on stage 1?

Edit: this works after I fixed my struct. I didn't disable alpha or texture. Everything is on stage 0, it's just that the color is ARG1 and the texture is ARG2.

Thanx.

[edited by - amish1234 on July 2, 2003 7:33:47 PM]

You''re using stage 0, and stage 0 only. That''s why I''m saying you should disable stage 1 by setting both COLOROP and ALPHAOP for stage 1 to D3DTOP_DISABLE. Why? Because you shouldn''t rely on default values. You could very easily add code - later - that would utilize the 2nd stage before your lightmap code, which would mess things up.

Conclusion: Always disable the 1st stage you don''t use

Peace,
Muhammad Haggag