point of 'else if' ?

Started by
29 comments, last by iwasbiggs 23 years, 9 months ago
Just wondering if 'else if' in C++ was really considered a separate keyword. I know that MASM has an .ELSEIF test, but as far as I can tell, there isn't really a difference from a regular else then an if test. i.e.

if()
{
}
else
{
   if()
   {
   }
}

Edited by - iwasbiggs on 6/16/00 11:58:59 PM
___________________________Freeware development:ruinedsoft.com
Advertisement
I really don''t understand you much, but the elseif statement is for if''s with more than 2 possibilities.

Also, in C/C++, isn''t there an actual elseif statement...like the following

if SomethingSomething
{
}
elseif somethingelse
{
}

------------------------
Captured Reality.
No, there''s no ''elseif'' keyword in C/C++. You can just do it like this though:

if(x == 10)
{
}
else if(x == 5)
{
}

Although that''s just a different way of formatting the if statements...
ah yes.

I see now. It could also be written like this then

else{ if{

although they would be exactally the same huh?

------------------------
Captured Reality.
AFAIK in C, when the compiler reaches a { symbol it means the start of a block. Blocks are needed to group statements together to make a few statements count as one.

so...

if (x == 1)
{
// Do something
}
else if (y == 2)
{
// Do something else
}

is exactly the same as

if (x == 1)
{
// Do something
}
else
{
if (y == 2)
{
// Do something else
}
}

The only difference is that in the first case, the "if" statement isn''t inside a block. It doesn''t need to be, since an "if" counts as one statement, so you don''t need to enclose it in {}s.

Man this is a pointless post... :-D

CYAS!
It just makes your code more readable. Thats all.

/home/./~jumble
---------------
jumble-----------
I disagree with all of you
else if is for multiple else ifs
what I mean is this: if you use else{ if{ you can't use else if again. or at least it won't do anything let me demonstrate
if (a == 1){  stuff;}else{  if (a == 2)  {     more.stuff;  }} // this is as many if statements as you can have (w/o nesting them  

so instead we use this
if (a == 1){   stuff;}else if (a == 2){   more.stuff;}else if (a == 3){   even.more.stuff;}  

see?
hope this made sense
basically else if statements can make your code more like switches and they are more efficient than using multiple consecutive if statements for the same thing, because you aren't double testing

later
arsenius

after three days without programming, life becomes meaningless

Edited by - arsenius on June 18, 2000 5:03:25 AM
slight as it may be.....else if statements also improve speed of your code......here is an example
    if (a==1)  do something;if (a==2)  do something;if (a==3)   do something.......if (a==25)   do something;    

your program runs through 25 if statments regardless of whether it was the first in the list or the last
now if you had replaced those with else if statement.....then if a was equal to say 5....your program will skip the next 20 if statments......
not much but if you hava a lot of if statements it can add up

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

Else if is not an actual keyword. It is just the else and if keyword togther. The reason it is treated like a seperate keyword is because it follows those coding style rules for indenting (Please don''t be one of those people who double indents else if''s).

By the way blocks are now called compound statements, although it depends a little on the compiler.
For a good time hit Alt-F4! Go ahead try it, all the cool people are doing it.
This thread can probably be deleted because it just reasserted what I already thought.

an else if is an else { if } is an else ... if
___________________________Freeware development:ruinedsoft.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement