Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

etrevino

model file format question

I''m trying to write a (simple) render engine to test some ideas that I have. As a part of this, I want to be able to load "levels" in order to move around. My problem is, where can I go to learn enough about modelling file formats to properly load and parse the levels into the engine? I''m thinking of these formats (feel free to tell me if it''s a good or bad idea): DXF, AC3d''s format, Maya''s Ascii format, or perhaps even GMax''s format. What can you guys tell me or where can I get useful documentation on these formats and their use (IE, how is material information stored so that I can relate the specular data to OpenGL, etc)? For your info, I''m doing this under Linux, with OpenGL and GLUT and a small does of Xfree86 programming. At this point, I''m trying to learn more about rendering spaces and places. Thanks.

quote:
Original post by downgraded
If it''s a test, find the 3d program that YOU use, work out which file formats it exports and create a single loader for that... eg: if it''s for YOU and you only, you may as well create ONE loader

Right, I agree. I just want to know:
1) any thoughts you guys have and
2) if anybody knows where to find accurrate documentation on the formats.

Yohumbus pointed you to a site that basically descibes ANY fileformat that you will EVER need. I have yet to come across a format that isn''t listed there.

Some other formats that come to mind:
MilkShape3D''s *.MS3D (editor is here, loader tutorial is here)
Quake3''s BSP (editors are everywhere, loader code is here in the OpenGL section with BSP format description)

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap Posting
To join: Put these lines in your signature and don''t post crap!

I''ve personally spotted a few formats that wotsit didn''t have in it''s database that I had to go elsewhere for, but for the most part, it''s fairly comprehensive! :D Anyway, might I recommend AGAINST the Maya ASCII format, as it''s VERY, shall we say, ''flexible''? It''s saved in the Maya MEL Script format, so you have to write a complete converter just to get the polys out the file! I wanted to try the Maya Binary format, but wotsit doesn''t have it MilkShape can import/export many different formats, so you can use it as a converter in itself to convert to a more useful format.

Chris Pergrossi
< ctoan >
My Realm