Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tater Tot

Im a beginner at programming and dont have many options to learn. I have a book(one), and a free compiler i found on www.bloodshed.net. Thats it, other that the web, i am having a bit of a hard time. I would really appreciate it if you could leave a sight or book or compiler you may recommend for me. I will be thank full for anything you can give. thank you. Tater Tot --- king of all spuds but unfortunatly as smart as one too

Dev-C++ will do fine for compiling. I recommend C++ in 21 days, but everyone tends to recommend the book that they started with.

EDIT: You can find the second edition of C++ in 21 Days free on the internet.

[edited by - horsesarenotevil on July 2, 2003 11:39:37 PM]

thanks for the info horsesarenotevil. I really appreciate it, i currently have the dev-c++ from bloodshed and c++ for dummies, i thank you again kind sir. And i agree, horses are not evil. Please keep em coming

Thanks agian cow/horsesarenotevil, i have been there but i still have a hard time grasping things. i have taken the tutorials but not really understood them. I am really determined to be a game programmer, but am not good at math either. but i thank you (agian...) for your post, everythign helps.

I''ve....I''ve never seen anyone so polite on the Iternet before....

I hope it doesn''t catch on! I''d hate people to expect ME to be polite like that :D

You could try a book called "Windows Game Programming for Dummies" - it''s not bad at all, although it assumes a reasonable level of proficiency in C/C++. Another place to try is http://www.gametutorials.com/ . They have a nice set of console (that''s text) games which help teach very basic C++, and lead right up to a basic RPG.

G''luck,

RM.

------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. it''''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!

c++ in 21 days is a good choice , and you should buy a book about algorithms...only learning what a programming language can do is boring , i got algorithms in c (from sedgewick, because i try to be a c programmer its a quite good book

bye

apo

[edited by - apocalexiz on July 3, 2003 6:34:15 AM]

thanks for all the replies guys, it helps a lot. Oh, and thank you for the comment about being kind, i pride myself at it, well kinda (just catch me on a good day) =). Thanks agian for all the great info and keep em coming if you can.

Heh, You really got banned (Cowsarenotevil)? Tater Tot, I have the book SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours (3rd Edition). Overall its a pretty good book but I''m still going through it myself right now....

I''m still in the beginning learn stage and I''m on day 20 of teach yourself c++ in 21 days. It is a good book, but I think some things could have been explained better. This is no problem because you canfind hundreds of tutorials online an review. Getting things from multiple sources really helps. If I were you I would try Object Oriented Programming by Robert Lafore, I''ve heard it is very very good (better then teach yourself in 21 days), but if you already have one, I''m sure its fine. While I''m at it...does anyone know a good book to get after I finish C++ in 21 days? Should I just get C++ unleashed by the same author?

P.S. Always do the exercises at the end of chapters, they really help. I would also recommend reviewing the chapter at least once after you have read through it, just to skim through and make sure you understand everyting.

thanks for the post, and i understand what you mean about multiple sources, i search the net for anything i can find, thats how i found this sight =). i have only pon ebook right now and its c++ for dummies, they must expect less of a dummie than me to read it because it gets pretty confusing. it wouldnt be ont he top of my list for you to look into but i do feel it helps. thanks agian, c ya

Tater Tot --- king of all spuds but unfortunatly as smart as one too

quote:
Original post by Soccerman4
Heh, You really got banned (Cowsarenotevil)? Tater Tot, I have the book SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours (3rd Edition). Overall its a pretty good book but I''m still going through it myself right now....

I can agree it''s a pretty good book.
C++ from the groud up is also a good book.