Started by
13 comments, last by Tater Tot 20 years, 9 months ago
Im a beginner at programming and dont have many options to learn. I have a book(one), and a free compiler i found on www.bloodshed.net. Thats it, other that the web, i am having a bit of a hard time. I would really appreciate it if you could leave a sight or book or compiler you may recommend for me. I will be thank full for anything you can give. thank you. Tater Tot --- king of all spuds but unfortunatly as smart as one too
Tater Tot --- king of all spuds but unfortunatly as smart as one too
Advertisement
Dev-C++ will do fine for compiling. I recommend C++ in 21 days, but everyone tends to recommend the book that they started with.

EDIT: You can find the second edition of C++ in 21 Days free on the internet.

[edited by - horsesarenotevil on July 2, 2003 11:39:37 PM]
~-~The Horse of Darkness~-~
thanks for the info horsesarenotevil. I really appreciate it, i currently have the dev-c++ from bloodshed and c++ for dummies, i thank you again kind sir. And i agree, horses are not evil. Please keep em coming
I like cheese
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Oops... see, I''m really cowsarenotevil, but I got banned (well, all of my posts say "I like cheese") but anyway, you''re welcome. Also try cprogramming.com
~-~The Horse of Darkness~-~
Thanks agian cow/horsesarenotevil, i have been there but i still have a hard time grasping things. i have taken the tutorials but not really understood them. I am really determined to be a game programmer, but am not good at math either. but i thank you (agian...) for your post, everythign helps.
I''ve....I''ve never seen anyone so polite on the Iternet before....

I hope it doesn''t catch on! I''d hate people to expect ME to be polite like that :D

You could try a book called "Windows Game Programming for Dummies" - it''s not bad at all, although it assumes a reasonable level of proficiency in C/C++. Another place to try is http://www.gametutorials.com/ . They have a nice set of console (that''s text) games which help teach very basic C++, and lead right up to a basic RPG.

G''luck,

RM.

------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. it''''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
------------------------------------------------------------Yes. it''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
I know of a free C++ book available in downloadable form. It's nothing fantastic but it's beter than a kick in the grits.

Thinking in C++ 2nd Edition Volume 1
Bruce Eckel

Download it from here...

http://www.speckine.com/Eckel_Books/index.html

[edited by - m_wherrett on July 3, 2003 6:13:47 AM]
c++ in 21 days is a good choice , and you should buy a book about algorithms...only learning what a programming language can do is boring , i got algorithms in c (from sedgewick, because i try to be a c programmer its a quite good book

bye

apo

[edited by - apocalexiz on July 3, 2003 6:34:15 AM]
thanks for all the replies guys, it helps a lot. Oh, and thank you for the comment about being kind, i pride myself at it, well kinda (just catch me on a good day) =). Thanks agian for all the great info and keep em coming if you can.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement