Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jack_1313

The average programmer...

I am wondering, what do you think the average age to begin programming is. I''ve noticed programmers are getting younger and younger. How old are were you when you began programing? How did you get into it and learn? What percentage of people here work alone and make games as a hobby, compared to working in a team or working professionaly? Me? I am fourteen and I started programming about a year ago. I learnt C++ and DirectX from the internet, with no outside help. I used to think programmers were all people in their 40s who had spent years learing to do it, but over the last 6 months I have come to realise that it is more like 15 yr olds who want to make games and decided to do something about it.

Yes, but the real question is who sticks to it their whole life? Kids mostly start out programming so that they can make a game but after a while they realize that it''s easier said then done. It''s some psychological thing that I''ve seen in the past year of people giving up because it gets boring or they want to do something easier. I''ve seen stuff like this happen. Sometimes people find the whole logic thing total and utter crap when they learn it so they find programming harder. Then some try to go ahead of theirselves and try to learn everything all at once. They don''t realize how long it actually takes to become a programmer and make games. By the way, I''m 15.

There''s no town drunk here, we all take turns.

quote:
Original post by Ekim_Gram
Yes, but the real question is who sticks to it their whole life? Kids mostly start out programming so that they can make a game but after a while they realize that it''s easier said then done. It''s some psychological thing that I''ve seen in the past year of people giving up because it gets boring or they want to do something easier. I''ve seen stuff like this happen. Sometimes people find the whole logic thing total and utter crap when they learn it so they find programming harder. Then some try to go ahead of theirselves and try to learn everything all at once. They don''t realize how long it actually takes to become a programmer and make games. By the way, I''m 15.

LIES!!1!

Anyway, the age at which you start doesn''t matter, what matters is how long you''ve been doing it and how persistant you are.

Started when I was 17 (so I skipped the whole BASIC and
turbopascal thing) - am 22 now.

There are a lot of topics in these forums where the age is
mentioned, and every time I''m surprised how young the average
GameDevver started coding..

i am 19 now and i started with 15

and to be true the first 2 years were a total waste

i learned 3x to 6x times as much within the last one and a half years

1. i started with the hl sdk and had no idea of objects classes and pointers and so on lol
2. after some time i finally decided to read a book on c/c++
after 3 months i have read the book and went back to the hl sdk
another 4 months and i got used to it
3. from there on i wrote tons of code for a mod we never released though

since i got bored with the SDK i decided to write an engine
so i ordered 2 book
the red book and one about graphic programming in theory
i have read both of them ( 700+1200 pages in english, my native language is german ...)

and now i am able to write engines with 3d sound via openal , 3d renderers, MFC applications, winsock networks and some other nifty things
and the clue is i learned this within 1 and a half year

ok i don t know everything perfectly but i know enough to get results and not just a huge useless code base

all you need is the motivation and when you burn out just play some games until these games get boring and you feel,damn i could code a better game....

blah blah

thats my history as a programmer.

I started out at age 8 or 9. I''m now 23. I used to do a LOT of BASIC programming. Up to 3 years ago. Then I made the switch to c++/opengl because I ran into some very frustrating problems with writing a 3D engine in BASIC It kept throwing me "divide by zero" errors and special casing those meant that some polygons didn''t get rendered. Then I decided it was time to make use of my TNT2 card and I got stuck in with NeHe''s OGL tut''s.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap Posting
To join: Put these lines in your signature and don''t post crap!

i have wanted to do programming all my life. not just because i thought wow i wish i could make a game like that but because i could come up with the best ideas in the world. they are reaally unique and completely different to most games. however i have not actually made a game yet because i do not have the experience.

i always asked my dad to teach me how to program because he used to be a pro programmer. however all he did was give me a copy of dark basic and told me to use that. great idea pfft.

the first person to actually teach me anything with programming was my uncle from america who had a program called squeak. he went through the premade games in the program and we disected the code and that was great. i was proly round 12 then.

now i''m 15, i just started programming properly this year.dad bought me a book about games programming and a book about c++ which i still haven''t got through because its a bit confusing. that''s really funny because i''m actually really smart but what got me were the functions. now i get it all (pretty much) but i still haven''t gone through.

when i gave up temporarily i went over to the game programming book but i got confused with the win32 api and the handles. i now have gone back to the c++ book.

i had to make a qbasic game for school so i learned all about qbasic. i went on tutorials on the internet and now i''m the most knowlegable qbasic programmer in the class. this is what really jumped me into programming. i found out for myself what it was like to make a game.

the problem was that with qbasic is that it is the crappest, messiest language out there and you have to code and code and code. it''s slighhhhtly quicker and waaaay better with c++.

now i have started a teenager game programming team consisting of about 7 ppl all aged 16 or below. in fact there is a 12 and a 13 yr old so that''s just amazing.

anyway thats pretty much my life story in the way of programming.
i do ramble on quite alot don''t i (little understatement)

i''ll stop now before i bore evverryone away

if you cant do it your not worthy

Started at 14 with FORTRAN, COBOL, and BASIC. I''ll be 37 in August. I''ve been doing it as a job since I was 28. I''ve been coding longer than some people here have been alive!

so folks...me is 20 i only programm if i must...i read many things about (e.g. c,c++ and many many theorie) but the "work" programming...isnt the thing that i want to do every day in my life,
to be a programmer is a ......damn job, if you went outside to a company...and you dont love (i really mean LOVE) programming...u can get very fast very frustrated

machaira
damn ur old

[edited by - apocalexiz on July 3, 2003 6:52:04 AM]

I used to make web pages when I was about 11, I thought I was tha shit! I started learning javascript, then Java when I was 15ish, which I used to write some games found [plug]here[/plug] and the beginnings of a 3d rasteriser. Learned some pascal for a computing course, started learning delphi for that now as well. Learned some ASP and SQL on work experience, which for some reason has completely evaporated from my memory. Planning to learn c++ when I get a new pc

I started programming cause ever since I played Mario as my first video game when I was about 5 I''ve been looking at games and thinking ''I could make something better than that'' and ''what would make that game a whole lot better is...''
Of course, when I was 5 the complete sentance would have been:
''what would make that game a whole lot better would be unlitited lives and invincability and a button that you press and all the monsters die!'' Which would obviously make a peice of crap.

The younger the better I guess, ''creating'' things has always been something I enjoyed doing.

I started programming on the ZX Spectrum 48k, you trace how long that was ago

I''m 22. I got a TRS-80 2 for my birthday when i was 3, and an ibm 8086 for my fifth... Neither of them left Basic much. (though the TRS-80 Couldn''t... not the version I had) So I''ve been programing since I could read. Admittadly, not very good programs till I turned 13 and discovered the net, VB, and some focus. Heh.

I kinda started programming by getting thrown in the deepend so to speak. When I was about 17 or so, I said I knew how to program in C and alter could do the C programming for a online game. Well in fact I couldn''t, save for the life of me, so a poor friend of mine on ICQ was driven mad for weeks as I tryed to work out how to do the requests made of me. To be honest it was the beginning of the end though as now I''ve worked professionally since I was 21 and am now 24.

You find also once you start working professionally that you learn a ton, but also tinkering around in your own time is cool also, because game programming companies like to see that you have a interest in games even outside your work/study hours.

Oh and no courses or uni here Had to self learn all the matrix/linear algebratic mathematics to keep ahead of the current games (difficult task)

Here is the geek story guys

Started when i was 12 or 13 with QBasic but i was bored then i found VB and i made a stupid game called "Shoot The Fishes" finally i brought my hands on C++ and everything come in it''s place.Just don''t ask how that happend cause it was DAMN HARD!!!I didn''t have i-net connection and i was unable to order some books so i had to examine programs like "Talk Bot 2" and "Make a calculator in TurboC" and so on.I''m 17 now and i''m happy that althought i was hard i continued.Now i spend the whole day infront of the screen which i believe is not very good for me eyes :d.Baya!

"You losers better learn...NOONE CONTROLS OUR GOD DAMN LIFE!!!" - MANOWAR

I started out wehen i was 9 years old, my mother subscribed me for a popular scientific magazine called ''KIJK'', in one of the first episodes i recieved there was a article which explained a small QBASIC program that displayed a rotating wireframe cube. I started playing around with it and quickly discovered how it all worked. After that i started writing some bullshit programs that had no use at all but through those programs i learned the basics. Then i moved on to Turbo Pascal, started coding some 2d graphics using the BGI libraries. Performance issues eventually forced me to write my own graphics driver but too do this i needed to learn x86 assembler, so i did. After that i started writing some simple games like Pacman and breakout clones. Then came the 3D experience called DOOM. Wow that was cool!! I really wanted to make something like that, so i started learning the techniques needed to make something like that. After a year and a lot of help from the PCGPE and asphyxia i managed to write a simple solid/textured flat shaded 3d-engine.
At the time i was 15 years old or so. Windows came and i switched to C++, i really loved that language, it was fast and way more powerfull than the pascal language. And again i wrote a lots of useless programs usign the Win32 and DirectX api. And im still doing that, just because i like it!

i''m now 21 years old and have a job as a system developer at a collectors office, developing everything from document-imaging software to a http-server and erp software

I only started programming seriously last month when I turned 15. Before that, I read lots of books, but I didn''t do any coding. That was my problem. I started out with BASIC, and I had a book, but no interpreter. When I got a graphing calculator, I did alot of programming, and I even made a game. It was okay, but ran really slow because the calculator is just like that (there were only two moving elements on the screen). After that, I read alot of books, the one that I probably learned the most from was C for Dummies volumes one and two (great books for learning C). I get all my books out of my library, I rarely buy any. I read more books on C and C++, and then I got out of programming. I got back into it, and decided that I would program. I have only been programming for a month, but I have finished my first game. All I have to say is, I don''t think that I''m that young, plus, alot of older people had alot more programming opportunities when they were young, like the ZX Spectrum I hear so much about. I have always dreamed of programming videogames, and I plan to do it my whole life.

The ZX Spectrum was great.
When I was like. 8 or something, I wanted a computer of my own(my dad had a brand new 286 comp), so he brought out his old spectrum and put it in my room. That was my first programming experience, with BASIC on that old thing. I loved switching my sisters music tapes with my program ones too. She didn''t enjoy it quite as much though. :D
/ Eric

I''m now 18, and I started when I was about 12. I first got interested when I was making levels for the FPS Hexen and read somewhere that the scripting language was very simmilar to C. Being that I couldn''t find much else about the scripting language, I picked up a book on C and started reading it. I learned enough so that I could read, edit, and create Hexen scripts and went back to making levels. When that got old, I went back to just plain C and made billions of stupid win16 console programs(it was a borland thing, simmilar to the console subsystem in Win32 except it wasn''t part of the OS - it was just a borland library to simulate a console using windows). I then pretty much forgot about programming and went back to playing games. When I was about 14, my family and I moved to a new house (not too far away, same school district even) and one of my neighbors was about my age. I showed him some of the stuff I made and he was really impressed, so I taught him everything I knew about C. That was when I really started to understand everything and it all really clicked.

I''m now 18 (soon to be 19), I''ve completed my first year of college for a CS degree, and I''ve already got a summer job (as an intern) programming =-)

I started out learning C++ when I was 12 1/2, i''m 16 1/2 now. It all started out when my parents ordered this Game Maker Starter kit software pack thingy. It came with a free copy of Visual C++ 4, everything else in it was pretty much junk. I ask my parents to buy a book, Begginning Visual c++ 4, and i learnt my C++ code base, but i went on to buy more updated books since then, and am learning OpenGL. I''m using VC6 now, i''m not that out of date anymore.

Before that i was doing ''programming'' on a Amiga 1200 with a program called CanDo. I think it was the amigas equivalent of VB. Drag and drop controls, very little coding. Even furth before that my parents had a old Amstrad. You had to type in code to get it to do anything, even to play the little casset types! So i did some on that when i was 5, but it was really copying from a book.

-J

(Oh boy here comes a Dbz fan)
Well I saw my first video game at the age of 10 (nintendo''s mario bro 1). I was so hooked...Well my cousin broke the nintendo and my dad wouldn''t buy me a new one (my dad''s one of those serious types) He hated when i played any form of video games. I had always imagined creating a cool dbz rpg game since i was so addicted to the series. Well when i was 14-my dad told me to stop wasting my time and learn how to work with web pages. I created one of those RPG Dbz web pages lol...Got a ton of members and we could roleplay but i could often feel the limitation of Html. When I was about 15 I ran across my first Java Applet game online and boy was I amazed...I felt as in if all of my dbz dreams would come true...I figured i''d learn what this Java thing was all about and go on the road to learning Java to make the dbz RPG game...Well when I ran on Java...It took me about 4 months to understand some of the basics...As a matter of fact...I was so sad after the 4 months that I figured continuing to learn Java would be a waste of my time lol...So i quit programming for 2 years lol. But during those 2 years...I still had a dream of creating a dbz rpg game...and I ran across a few game sites like this...i picked up C++ and started to learn it and now i''m Here lol ...By far the Best Game Site around...The forum on this website is one of the best forums i''ve ever been part of.

-Zeke''''s Signature

I started programming when I was in the 4th grade (I am almost 27). We had a VIC-20 at home and my parents saw that I was very interested in it, and signed me up to a introductory VAX BASIC class at the local community college. That was funny because it was mostly old people in it at the time.

Then a while later I got a C64 and learned to program BASIC on it too, and did some other stuff with it. I used to play with stuff like Video Game Construction Kit etc.

In highschool I learned to type, learned Watcom Basic, and learned Turing. I wrote 2 games in turing, one was a very simple boxing game, and the other was a galaxian style game (we never finished it - my team wimped out on me and I couldn''t do it all myself)

In college I learned C and C++ for Unix, I also learned VB6 and boring stuff like RPG IV and COBOL.

I haven''t done much game programming since highschool, I''m a mainframe programmer on contract right now. I am in the process of learning some DirectDraw stuff and I want to maybe make a career switch before I get too entrenched in business application programming.

I began wayyyyyy to early lol. First contact with LOGO age 6-7. Began GW-Basic at age 9. Then it escalated with Pascal, VisualBasic, C++, assembly... etc. Now Im 22 and my CS degree is almost finished. I got myself excellent internships at Matrox and Dassault. (So I guess you can count me more as a professionnal then a hobbyist).

I think I began too early, because so young you can hardly program with "usefull" languages like C++, and you get bad programming habits with Basic-like. When I first saw Pascal, my first reaction was to say "How can you program without GOTO''s and Line Numbers??? Thats imposssible!"

On the other side, I think that beginning so early made me a fast learner and a fast coder.