The average programmer...

Started by
54 comments, last by jacksaccountongamedev 20 years, 9 months ago
programmerz suk, design and graphix d00ds r00lz.

No really get ready for the golden shower.
Advertisement
I personally think the average starting age is about 13 or 14, which is what the original question asked.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
I started obessing about making games ever since elementary school. I have never since that dear day that my dad asked if I wanted to work with him on a game (which we never started) thought about doing anything but designing a game. Even though I don''t play many games any more this desire to create a game that utterly conquered the market. Recently my plans have changed slightly. While still wanting to conquer the video game market I want my games to be christian in a way using the same techniques the books Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia have used in a gaming format. By the way I''m right now 17.
I am 15. I started off making some simple games with flash. A few months later i deciced to try 3d game studio...I used it for about 2 years. I worked with 3d studio max off and on.I have been working with c++ and OpenGL for the past few months. After reading a few c++ books I understood the basics like function and structures/classes but i have a little trouble understanding pointers and dynamic allocation.

[edited by - starboarder on July 7, 2003 6:08:33 PM]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -www.Vision-Software.org
Hmmm. Well I am 16, I started programming probably about 5 years ago maybe, but its definitely true that as you get older you tend to learn things more quickly. I've learned more in the past year than the previous 4 combined. I've been programming C++ for four years, and DirectX for nearly one, VB for two. What makes the difference is the people who stick with it and do it because they enjoy it, I know I'm not getting paid for my games any time soon, I just do it because I like it. I've done a few projects, some VB stuff for school, I worked on a 3D engine project with some other people for about four months, did pong (everybody has to do pong! lol) now I'm working on an arcade game using Crystal Space.

[edited by - dovyman on July 7, 2003 6:19:31 PM]
quote:Original post by Basiror
i learned 3x to 6x times as much within the last one and a half years

I find learning takes an exponential jump as you get more access to information. Before (14) it was just me and a keyboard. Now I''ve got the forums, online tutorials and friends to ask help with problems.
I burn cold

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement