Websites

Started by
2 comments, last by WizHarDx 20 years, 9 months ago
Hi everyone. I need to make myself a proffessinal website now. I know how to make the basic website with just flash,html,&#106avascript on all the rest of the client side scripts/lanugagues. But now i need to step up a level. I need to be able to store databases on the system. Allowing the user to search. Allow regestration,etc. I was wondering how would do all of this ive heard of asp or php. Could you please tell me the diffrences and advantages. keep in mind that I program mainly in VC++ (and know of ODBC using MFC) and occasionally in visual basic. Thanx in advance Iain Fraser PS I haven''t bought a host yet, but when I find out which is the best kind of script I will buy host with support for that
who is it that keeps on nicking WizHarD name !! :P
Advertisement
A webhost I recommend: iPowerWeb. pretty good. 500 mb, 20 gig transfer, 300 pop mail boxes, php, sql and asp support. only 7,95 US$ a month I believe. And most important: They have a good helpdesk Everytime I had a problem with something, they responded personally within 24 hours and they did not give me some predefined answers (you get those as well, about 1 minute after you ask for help. it suffices 90% of the time. good knowledge base).

//end commercial break

Now for some web-programming. I've been doing some webdesign to generate money for my game projects. I've always used PHP in compination with MySQL. Both are free and very good. I also has a large active user base and there are tons of tutorials for it. ASP is a standard that has been developed my Microsoft. I have little experience with it but from what i've heard it's a bit 'top-heavy' if you understand what I mean. IIRC the new gamedev forums are going to be php as well instead of asp.

I find the php language pretty easy to use. It's a bit like c++ so you should have no problem there. The only thing I found a bit confusing in the begining was connecting and using the database. SQL can be tricky at times. Also a great benefit: If you download apache (free) you can create PHP/MySQL site's on your own computer so you don't have to upload/test all the time.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap Posting
To join: Put these lines in your signature and don't post crap!

[edited by - sander on July 3, 2003 6:47:32 AM]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

I agree with Sander completely here. I''ve also been developing sites with PHP. In my opinion, it''s a very powerful language. The syntax is practically an extremely simplified version of C++. The documentation is extensive, but very very clear. The language is very standardized, as are the libraries provided, which cover about anything you could wish for with webscripting.

I must honestly say that I have no real experience with ASP, although a few first impressions gave me the strong idea of a very un-organized, messy language. Anyway, the free-factor of PHP/MySQL is one of the most important for me....
Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.
thanx guys, you swayed me. Im checking out tutorials now
who is it that keeps on nicking WizHarD name !! :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement