no-one can create ai

Started by
94 comments, last by yumi_cheeseman 20 years, 8 months ago
quote:Original post by MikeD
I hope you don''t mind me preaching a little,

Not at all. I appreciate the clarification, but I think the fact remains that AI is a more advanced science than AL, possibly because the type of computers we commonly use (semi-conductor based) are good at procedural logic.

quote:Original post by Timkin
This is NOT the forum to discuss (in)appropriate grammar...

Well, perhaps not. I went over the top, for which I am sorry, but I couldn''t sit by and let someone claim that using English badly is a "new language". I don''t mind when a child or a non-native English speaker writes badly but I don''t think there is much of an excuse for laziness.

Nevertheless, you are correct. It''s not a writing forum. In future I may still say something but I won''t be such an arsehole about it. Is this an acceptable compromise?

Sorry cheeseman. It''s not really such a capital crime to be a lazy writer. I don''t like it but I didn''t need to bite your head off.

Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.
Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.
Advertisement
"Bleedin' 'eck, I post a debateable discourse on the differences between AI and AL and the next two posts don't point out errors or clarify points, they talk about language (1337 5p34k suXx0r btw) and Timkin's Hulk like properties."

Pull yourself together man! Get your priorities right!

Edit: added smiley so that non Brits can understand I'm joking.

Damn, had to add another one!

[edited by - fup on August 1, 2003 2:45:16 PM]
Aren''t Artificial Intelligence and A-Life quite closely linked?
A prime example is the human brain, a coupling of intelligence and life. Our genetics control our instinctual behaviour and since these change with each generation, then our minds will change also...
It seems to me that the reason so many people are upset at the original posting is that they realize the limitations of what they are doing (i.e. they have not yet created a true mind, but only complex algorithms. Don''t get me wrong these are also truly wonderful inventions.)

Also to those who wish to believe that they are no more than complicated machines, influenced by genetics and environment, consider this quote:
"The eye is not seeing, as the ear is not hearing."
It seems to me that the reason so many people are upset at the original posting is that they realize the limitations of what they are doing (i.e. they have not yet created a true mind, but only complex algorithms. Don''t get me wrong these are also truly wonderful inventions.)

Also to those who wish to believe that they are no more than complicated machines, influenced by genetics and environment, consider this quote:
"The eye is not seeing, as the ear is not hearing."
If anyone feels the need to test my patience again they''ll find their account on probation. I moderate for a reason, not because I like to see my name on the forums.

This thread is now closed. If you''re not sure why, refer to my previous post.

Timkin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement