memory and such

Started by
11 comments, last by deakin 23 years, 10 months ago
null_pointer: auto means automatically decide to put it in a register or on the stack. The register keyword means put it in a register, but it doesn''t work with the new compilers. And the stack size can be changed in windows.

Also with memory management it gets more complicated if you go down to a lower level, since the compiler does some optimizations on what you tell it to do.

For a good time hit Alt-F4! Go ahead try it, all the cool people are doing it.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by blue-lightning

null_pointer: auto means automatically decide to put it in a register or on the stack. The register keyword means put it in a register, but it doesn''t work with the new compilers. And the stack size can be changed in windows.

Also with memory management it gets more complicated if you go down to a lower level, since the compiler does some optimizations on what you tell it to do.

My C book states that the register keyword simply _tries_ to put the variable in a CPU register. Right or wrong?

/. Muzzafarath
Mad House Software
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
quote:Original post by jumble

HOWEVER - if you use the "static" keyword in your function prototype the variables are kept in memory and the same values are used if the function is called again, right gurus?

Is there any equivalent of the static directive in Pascal (Delphi)?
I don’t think there is one, but I’m just checking to make sure, because a static directive could be very useful…

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement