BMP

Started by
16 comments, last by jaba 20 years, 9 months ago
Which is the simplest way to load a bmp?
============================== Videoman Library Project
Advertisement
Using the DevIL library should be the easiest way, especially if you plan to feed OpenGL with the BMP data.
Write your own routine. It''s 1.5 pages long and you can be proud of it later on.
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
class CBitmap{private:	unsigned short	width;	unsigned short	height;	unsigned char*	data;	public:	// Constructor	inline CBitmap()	{		data = NULL;	}	// Overloaded constructor	inline CBitmap( char *fileName )	{		data = NULL; // Set data to NULL so createBitmap won''t think we alredy have a bitmap		createBitmap( fileName );	}	// Destructor	inline ~CBitmap()	{		destroyBitmap();	}	// Create a new 24-bits RGB-bitmap from a bmp file	bool createBitmap( char *fileName )	{		if ( data != NULL )			return false;		FILE *file;		BITMAPFILEHEADER fileHeader;		BITMAPINFOHEADER infoHeader;		RGBQUAD *palette = NULL; // = NULL for ( ''palette'' may be used without having been initialized ).		file = fopen( fileName, "rb" );		if ( file == NULL )			return false;		// Read the header		fread( &fileHeader, sizeof( BITMAPFILEHEADER ), 1, file );			// Check if it is a real bitmap		if ( fileHeader.bfType != bitmapId() )		{			fclose( file );			return false;		}		// read the info header		fread( &infoHeader, sizeof( BITMAPINFOHEADER ), 1, file );		// We can only read RGB bitmaps		if ( infoHeader.biCompression != BI_RGB )		{			fclose( file );			return false;		}		// We can read 8-bit ( 256 colors ) bitmaps,		if ( infoHeader.biBitCount == 8 )		{			if ( infoHeader.biClrUsed == 0 ) // This means a palette of 256 colors.				infoHeader.biClrUsed = 256;						// Create and read the palette.			palette = new RGBQUAD[ infoHeader.biClrUsed ];			fread( palette, infoHeader.biClrUsed * sizeof( RGBQUAD ), 1, file );		}		else if (( infoHeader.biBitCount != 24 ) && ( infoHeader.biBitCount != 1 )) // And we can read 24-bits ( 2^24 colors ) and 1-bits ( 2 color ) bitmaps.		{			fclose( file );			return false;		}		// Go to the picture bits.		fseek( file, fileHeader.bfOffBits, SEEK_SET );		width  = (unsigned short)abs( infoHeader.biWidth );		height = (unsigned short)abs( infoHeader.biHeight );		// Store the size of the bitmap.		int size = ( width * height * 3 );		data = new unsigned char[ size ];		if ( infoHeader.biBitCount == 24 )		{			fread( data, size, 1, file ); // We can just read the bitmap.			// Swap the R and B values to get RGB since the bitmap color format is in BGR.			swapColors( data, size );		}		else if ( infoHeader.biBitCount == 8 ) // With 8 bit we need to create the colors with the palette.		{			// We only read 1 byte per RGB so it 3 times smaller.			int tempSize = size / 3;			unsigned char *tempData = new unsigned char[ tempSize ];			fread( tempData, tempSize, 1, file );			// Create the bitmap with the palette and the data we read.			int j = 0;			for ( int i = 0; i < tempSize; i++ )			{				data[j+0] = palette[ tempData[i] ].rgbRed;				data[j+1] = palette[ tempData[i] ].rgbGreen;				data[j+2] = palette[ tempData[i] ].rgbBlue;				j += 3;			}			// Delete the palette and the tempdata.			delete [] palette;			delete [] tempData;		}		else if ( infoHeader.biBitCount == 1 ) // With 1 bit we need to create the colors from 1 bit.		{			// We only read 1 bit per RGB so it ((size/3)/8) times smaller.			int tempSize = (size / 3) / 8;			unsigned char *tempData = new unsigned char[ tempSize ];			fread( tempData, tempSize, 1, file );			// Create the bitmap with the data we read.			int j = 0;			for ( int i = 0; i < tempSize; i++ )			{				// We need to go through all the 8 bits				for ( int n = 7; n >= 0; n-- )				{					if ( tempData[i] & (1<<n) ) // Black					{						data[j+0] = 0;						data[j+1] = 0;						data[j+2] = 0;						j += 3;					}					else // White					{						data[j+0] = 255;						data[j+1] = 255;						data[j+2] = 255;						j += 3;					}				}			}			// Delete the palette and the tempdata.			delete [] tempData;		}		// We don''t need the file anymore.		fclose( file );		return true;	}	// Save the bitmap to a file	bool saveBitmap( char *fileName ) // TODO: Bitmaps won''t show as thumbnails in winXP?	{		if ( data == NULL )			return false;		FILE *file;		BITMAPFILEHEADER fileHeader;		BITMAPINFOHEADER infoHeader;		file = fopen( fileName, "wb" );		// Check if we could open the file		if ( file == NULL )			return false;		// Fill the BITMAPFILEHEADER struct		fileHeader.bfSize		= sizeof( BITMAPFILEHEADER );		fileHeader.bfType		= bitmapId();		fileHeader.bfReserved1	= 0;		fileHeader.bfReserved2	= 0;		fileHeader.bfOffBits	= sizeof( BITMAPFILEHEADER ) + sizeof( BITMAPINFOHEADER );		// Write the BITMAPFILEHEADER struct		fwrite( &fileHeader, sizeof( BITMAPFILEHEADER ), 1, file );		int size = ( width * height * 3 );				// Fill the BITMAPINFOHEADER struct to the file		infoHeader.biSize			= sizeof( BITMAPINFOHEADER );		infoHeader.biPlanes			= 1;		infoHeader.biBitCount		= 24;		infoHeader.biCompression	= BI_RGB;		infoHeader.biSizeImage		= size;		infoHeader.biXPelsPerMeter	= 0;		infoHeader.biYPelsPerMeter	= 0;		infoHeader.biClrUsed		= 0;		infoHeader.biClrImportant	= 0;		infoHeader.biWidth			= width;		infoHeader.biHeight			= height;		// Write the BITMAPINFOHEADER struct to the file		fwrite( &infoHeader, sizeof( BITMAPINFOHEADER ), 1, file );		// Create a new buffer which will hold the data we are going to save		// We need a new buffer because we have to swap RGB to BGR		unsigned char *tempData = new unsigned char[ size ];		// Copy the data to the buffer		memcpy( tempData, data, size );		// Swap the R and B values to get BGR.		swapColors( tempData, size );		fwrite( tempData, size, 1, file );		fclose( file );		// Delete the temporary buffer		delete [] tempData;		return true;	}	// Destroy a window if we have one	inline void destroyBitmap()	{		if ( data == NULL )			return;		delete [] data;		data = NULL;	}	// Return the bitmaps data	inline unsigned char *getData()	{		return data;	}	// Return the bitmaps width	inline unsigned short getWidth()	{		return width;	}	// Return the bitmaps width	inline unsigned short getHeight()	{		return height;	}	// Return the Universal bitmap identifier 0x4D42	static unsigned short bitmapId()	{		return 0x4D42;	}	// Swap the red and blue bytes.	// Windows stores bitmaps in BGR ( Blue, Green, Red )	static void swapColors( void* buffer, int size )	{		int s = size / 3;				__asm		{			mov ecx, s			mov ebx, buffer							label:				mov  al, [ebx+0]				xchg al, [ebx+2]				mov  [ebx+0], al								add ebx,3								loop label		}	}};
Thank you very much!!!
============================== Videoman Library Project
so... then what? i mean, you then have a bmp in your memory, but how do you convert it into a texture?
You go to NeHe''s main site and study tutorial 6. It has loading bitmaps and displaying it as texture.
// to create the textureGLuint	t;CBitmap b;b.createBitmap("thatexture.bmp");glGenTextures(1, &t);glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, t);\glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, b.getWidth(), b.getHeight(), 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, b.getData());b.destroyBitmap(); // you won''t need this anymore// to use the textureglBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, t);glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);... // render stufglEnd();// to destroy the textureglDeleteTextures(1, &t);[/code]
ah I misunderstood the entire thing... since the tutor already uses LoadBMP, what is the advantage of creating this class? purely getting rid of AUX_RGBImageRec? and does that mean you can get rid of the header glaux?
quote:Original post by Ruudje
ah I misunderstood the entire thing... since the tutor already uses LoadBMP, what is the advantage of creating this class? purely getting rid of AUX_RGBImageRec? and does that mean you can get rid of the header glaux?

Precisely
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement