MS3D model animation

Started by
2 comments, last by Velochy 20 years, 9 months ago
I was looking at the specs of the MS3D (MilkShape 3D model) format, especially concerning the part about the keyframe animation and was wondering if i can make the assumption that A: there is the same amount of rotation and translation keyframes in a joint and B: all joints have the same amount of keyframes. I loaded in a model and on that one it seemed to be so. Can anyone verify that?
Advertisement
You should try it out yourself. Create a basic skeleton with.. say... 10 frames and 3 joints. Go to frame 1 and set some rotations/translations. Go to the animate menu and DESELECT the "operate on selected joints only". Then set a keyframe.

Go to frame erm... 5 and set some more rotation and translation ON ONE JOINT (not the base joint, try the second one). the go to animate, reselect the "..on selected joints.." thinghy and set a keyframe.

Then go to frame 10, rotate/translate some more and again, deselect the "on selecten joints..." and set the last keyframe. Save, and look through the saved file. I can imagine 3 posibilities:

1) joint 1 & 3 have 2 keyframes, joint 2 has 3
2) joint 1 has 2 keyframes, joint 2&3 have 3 (because of dependancy)
3) all joints have 10 keyframes (milkshape save it all...)

EDIT: Just coocked up another possible solution: all 3 joints have 3 keyframes.

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap Posting
To join: Put these lines in your signature and don't post crap!

[edited by - sander on July 3, 2003 9:23:07 AM]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Actually each bone does NOT have to have the same number of frames, but for each frame a reference time is given. So Joint B may have frames at times 1,2,3,4,5 while it''s child Joint C could only have frames at times 1,4,5. When reading in the frames, you must take into account the times of each frame when rendering.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
quote:Original post by oconnellseanm
Actually each bone does NOT have to have the same number of frames, but for each frame a reference time is given. So Joint B may have frames at times 1,2,3,4,5 while it''s child Joint C could only have frames at times 1,4,5. When reading in the frames, you must take into account the times of each frame when rendering.

You sure about that? i thought maybe it generated the keyframes for the other times itself... well anyone got anything to say about A? (a joint always has the same amount of rotations and translations)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement