Libraries/licenses driving me crazy (LibSDL/DelphiJedi headers)

Started by
0 comments, last by NaliXL 20 years, 9 months ago
Okay, I''ve been walking around the last few months with a great idea for a game I could make quite easily. So, I started to do some planning. Amongst others, I wanted to check if I could reasonably create a commercial game useing the tools I was planning to. However, those licenses are kindda driving me crazy, especially since English is not my native language. Anyone to clarify some things a bit? The SDL libraries are covered under the LGPL licence. The LGPL licence states that it''s designed to allow linking with non-free programs, while keeping the libs itself protected open-source. That''s OK with me, but in section 5 of the terms, I see this :
quote: A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it, is called a "work that uses the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is not a derivative work of the Library, and therefore falls outside the scope of this License. However, linking a "work that uses the Library" with the Library creates an executable that is a derivative of the Library (because it contains portions of the Library), rather than a "work that uses the library". The executable is therefore covered by this License. Section 6 states terms for distribution of such executables.
Now, the Delphi-Jedi SDL-headers I''m useing are licenced under the Mozilla public licence, distributed as source-code. No problem, because the MPL states :
quote: You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered Code with other code not governed by the terms of this License and distribute the Larger Work as a single product. In such a case, You must make sure the requirements of this License are fulfilled for the Covered Code.
But those headers are linking to the SDL DLL''s/.so files. So, if I compile any program useing those Jedi SDL headers, it will link to the SDL/.so files, and thus the program will be "a derivative of the library", which means I''ll have to distribute it as either GPL or LGPL. Am I correct, or am I missing something here? Doesn''t this mean that it is virtually impossible to distribute binaries only of programs useing LGPL-covered libraries? In short : Does this combination of LGPL/MPL licenses allow me to create a commercial/closed source game useing SDL libs?
Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.
Advertisement
If you link dynamically to SDL, you don''t have to give out your source. At least if I''m reading this right.

---
Visit Da Shovvkejs.
---Mikael Lax

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement